THIRTEEN

chp. 13

Grumpily exiting her room, Yeji yawned, scrunching her nose as her mouth gradually opened.

It was, unfortunately, another day of school. She knew that it was only the start of the year, but Yeji couldn't help but daydream of the day she graduates.

As Yeji entered the kitchen, she noticed a well-prepared breakfast by the counters already, with a note attached to the glass of milk. Being the curious cat she was, she plucked the note off of the glass, her eyebrows twisting together as she read the note.

'Let's talk tonight. - Mom'

Yeji pursed her lips before letting out a heavy sigh, crumbling the note up and chucking it into the nearest trash can. She glanced at the tempting breakfast, wanting to reject it so badly just because her mom had made it. But then again, her mom had made it, for like, the first time in so long. So, Yeji didn't waste any more time staring at the meal and instead, finished it all under three minutes.

Thankfully, it was only her in the house, or else somebody would have witnessed the demon possessing her when it came to food.

A few minutes later, Yeji was already running out of the house. She knew that she was a bit later than usual, finishing that breakfast, and she did not want to have to run two laps just for being late.

However, as if her luck had suddenly turned up, a very recognizable motorcycle was in front of her house.

"Ryujin?" Yeji breathed out as she finally registered whose bike it was. Ryujin glanced up from her phone and beamed when she noticed the brunette, tucking away her phone into her pocket.

"Hi! I passed by your street and thought I could give you a ride," Ryujin said, then her expression turned anxious. "If you want to, that is."

Normally, Yeji would not want to get herself into anything that involved the shorter monkey. But the annoyance of Ryujin was the least of her worries right now, and it would be much better if she got Ryujin to run two laps with her if they were late instead of running by herself.

It was a win-win, somewhat.

"Sure," Yeji replied quickly, surprising the other. And before Ryujin could say anything, Yeji quickly grabbed the familiar red helmet, placing it on her head before clicking the chinstrap together. She glanced at the stunned Ryujin, lifting a brow. "Let's go? I don't wanna be late."

"Oh, right, yeah," Ryujin cleared her throat and copied her actions, hopping on the bike first so Yeji could use her as support to do the same.

Without another second, they raced out of the neighbourhood, speeding to the school.

Turning off the engine, both of them swiftly got off the bike in one movement. Yeji quickly took off the helmet, knowing that they were two minutes away from being marked late. However, Ryujin didn't seem as bothered as the brunette, as her eyes were glued to Yeji's face in the process of taking off her helmet.

Once Yeji noticed, she paused, eyebrows twisting together. "What?" she asked with a sharp tone. "Is there something on my face?"

"Yeah," Ryujin said casually. "Beauty," she grinned.

Yeji found herself caught off-guard. She should've seen that one coming, because someone needed to tell her why she suddenly felt flustered at the casual compliment from the shorter. Compared to other days, she still felt annoyance at Ryujin's flirty and shameless behaviour, but for some reason, her first response was not instinctively to roll her eyes.

"...Thanks," she said instead, ignoring the way Ryujin's face lit up, "for the ride."

Ryujin tried to mask her disappointment with a hearty chuckle. "Yeah."