NINETEEN

chp. 19

Reuniting with someone elicits a whirlwind of emotions, from happiness to longing and nostalgia. The memories attached to the person instantly transport your mind back to the old days, whether they are filled with joy or pain.

Yeji wasn't sure what kind of memories she had with Ryujin.

In just one short month, a strong and weighty bond had formed between them, with numerous memories intertwined. Recalling them for Ryujin's curiosity wasn't easy, as each word brought back the intense emotions she had experienced during those moments. The puzzlement of Ryujin's comforting presence as they walked to the convenience store. The genuine fear when Ryujin joked about bugs. The contentment of holding onto Ryujin while feeling the gentle breeze. And the butterflies that she had denied until now, when Ryujin confessed her feelings.

Overwhelming. Maybe that was the word that described her current situation.

"That's why you don't like ice cream?" Ryujin laughed as they walked down the streets, her laughter echoing in the peaceful night.

"It was your fault," Yeji frowned, then paused. "Well, at least the— yeah."

Ryujin hummed, looking far into the distance. "So we were close."

"...I guess you could say that."

A moment of silence passed, accompanied by the crunching of leaves beneath their feet and the distant hum of passing cars. The tranquility lingered until Ryujin broke it.

"I liked you... didn't I?"

Yeji swallowed, her gaze falling to her feet. "H-How did you know?"

"It's, uh," Ryujin chuckled, stealing a glance at her. "It's pretty obvious."

"How so?"

"Because of the things I did.. for you, apparently."

"Oh," Yeji uttered.

'Was I that dense?'

"Anyway!" Ryujin said with a smile, a rather teasing one if Yeji's gaze didn't linger for longer. "Want to get ice cream?"

Yeji turned her head with a glare. "Do you want to die?"

Ryujin broke into a roar of laughter, shaking her head. "No, never mind!"

As the brunette observed the shorter girl breaking into fits of giggles, she couldn't help but chuckle along. Even though they were now two different people (the past Ryujin and the current Ryujin), there were some things that just didn't change (or they had in common).

Ryujin still had the power to activate the butterflies in her stomach.

Clearing her throat, Yeji gazed up at the twinkling night sky. "It's getting late."

"I guess we should head home, eh?" Ryujin pouted, copying Yeji's action and lifted her gaze. "Wow. The stars are really bright."

"Mhmm," Yeji affirmed, slowly shifting her gaze to Ryujin's sparkling eyes, admiring their shine amidst the dark surroundings. Even the street lamps reflected off her coffee-colored eyes.

She always knew that Ryujin was pretty, or attractive, in a sense. But now that she had officially lost the chance to tell her when Ryujin was still... just Ryujin, Yeji decided not to make such foolish mistakes anymore.

"You're beautiful," she whispered into the cool air, capturing the shorter girl's attention instantly.

Ryujin's cheeks now tinged with a flush of pink, almost matching her light-pink lips. Before Yeji could fully notice, she looked away. "So are you," she mumbled.