TWENTY-ONE

chp. 21

"M-Minju?"

The said girl smiled slightly in response, taking a seat beside the stunned brunette. "Hi, Yeji."

"Y-You..." Yeji closed her mouth and swallowed her saliva, falling back into the bench's backrest. Minju giggled at her antics.

"It's been too long," Minju said softly, matching the smile on her face. "How are you?"

Yeji took a moment to relax, trying to process the fact that her first love had appeared in front of her.

'Hyunjin wasn't lying.'

"I'm.." Yeji glanced at Minju, finding herself looking away almost immediately. Even after they grew up, her eyes still contained the shining stars in them. Yeji always disliked the way they made her melt on the inside. "Fine. I'm fine, you?"

Minju took a breath. "Well, I'm feeling lots of things. And I should probably tell you why I'm here before I tell you everything, right?"

Yeji nodded eagerly, smiling at the way Minju smiled.

And for a moment, Ryujin faded away.

"Okay so, you know how I left for Japan because of my parents' business, right?" Minju said, it wasn't a question, more of a statement, and Yeji knew that. "So after we settled down after a few years of developing the whole business, my parents wanted me to become a model so they could take me in as one of their... models. Which— is why I'm back in Korea now."

Yeji nodded, taking in the information with a bit of confusion.

So Minju was back because of her family's request?

'Makes sense.'

At that thought, her mood deflated. She knew that Minju couldn't possibly be back because of her and her alone, that was a stupid thing to even hope for. And now she was disappointed by how correct she was.

"Thats... good," Yeji said, trying to make her voice steady despite the sadness she felt. "I'm happy for you," she smiled.

"Yeah," Minju breathed out, then turned her torso to the brunette, giving her her full attention. "So, over the past.. seven years? What have you been up to?"

Sighing, Yeji decided to not tell the details and give a vague answer in hopes of not resurrecting negative emotions. "Nothing much. I made new friends and now I'm finally in my senior year."

"Aw, that's nice," Minju said, bumping shoulders with her. "Something that you've always wished for ever since we graduated middle school, right?"

"Yeah... but it isn't what I imagined it to be," Yeji sadly announced, a small pout forming on her lips.

Minju laughed. "It's not sunshines and rainbows, is it?"

"Nope," the brunette shook her head with a small smile, her hands gripping the edge of the bench as she hovered over her lap, staring down at her sneakers. Then, she mustered up the courage to look into her ex-favourite pair of eyes. "I missed you, Minju."

The other smiled gently, bringing her hand up to Yeji's ear and brushed a strand of hair behind it. "I missed you more, Yej."

"Yeji, I finally got hotdogs after that long ass line— MINJU???"

The two diverted their gazes to the blond boy standing in front of them with the same expression Yeji was previously wearing, causing Minju to giggle again.

"I told you! I told you I saw Minju when we went to get bungeo-ppang!" Hyunjin exclaimed, pointing at the both of them and almost hopping in excitement. Yeji rolled her eyes.