IV

She sat upright, eyes wide with a scream stuck at her throat. Cold sweat decorated her forehead, holding onto her chest trying to get even her breathing as she reminded herself where she was. She could feel her heart thumping loudly on her chest, her face felt cold with her lips dry and cracked. Licking her lips in attempt to moisten them and aid with the dryness of her mouth

She had woken up with a start, nearly jumping out of bed with cold sweat and the feeling of being strangled. Altheia, had the same fiery and bloody dream with her parent's severed heads and the disaster from the ball.

Trying to calm herself, by closing her eyes and breathing deeply. With her eyes closed, she could discern all the sounds she could hear. From the sound of her brother's snores, the soft sounds of the crickets, and the low hum of the breeze that entered their tent.

It was still the early hours of the morning with the sun not in sight, yet she was already wide awake. Afraid to fall asleep and see those images again. Inhaling deeply, holding her breath for a few seconds before exhaling, as she let the images replay in her mind slowly in an attempt to let it go but it only seemed to get worse and worse in her mind.

Four years had passed since the tragedy that befell her family on her birthday. Her hair had grown longer and she grew a bit taller by a few inches but still had that youthful glow to her but her hopeful eyes were slightly dimmed.

Today was the same day, during the day of her birth she has always been haunted by the images of the night that were imprinted to her memory. She doesn't react when they mention something about that night anymore, trying to hide the pain she felt at the very mention of the day. It's hard to react anyways especially when they never even speak of that dreadful day.

"Theia, go back to sleep. It's too early." Valerie's voice heaved her out of her thoughts.

Valerie peaked through the tent coming back from scanning the perimeter. They had dropped the formalities when they hid in this little camp and changed names to avoid suspicion. Valerie and Cole would take turns when it came to guarding at night, which Altheia would have known since she hasn't been able to sleep peacefully ever since the incident.

Jumping up to her feet, smiling to not make them think anything was wrong with her. "No, it's fine. I think I'll go for a walk."

"I'll come with you." Valerie interjects but Theia stops her and shakes her head while smiling.

"How about you rest, I know you were doing the night watch last night. Cale is probably by the trees... plus I can protect myself a bit now." Valerie only smiled in response to what Altheia said. She could see that the young girl was all grown up, especially when she showed her dagger that was strapped to her leg near her boot.

"You've grown up over the past years." Valerie said as she patted Altheia' cheek. Then headed inside the tent and lay down on a spare bed, her exhaustion getting the best of her as she was immediately snoring afterwards.

Altheia enjoyed the crisp air as walked out and took a stroll through the woods. The feeling of the soft soil beneath her feet crunching satisfyingly as she took a step. The soft chirp of the birds that seemed to sing the song of the golden-crowned sparrow, made her heart fill up with sorrow that left her feeling numb.

She felt joy and wonder as she scanned her surroundings, nature just before dawn would never really fail to amaze her. In contrast to that joy was the anguish she felt as each tree and leaf that filled her vision in the vast sea of green and brown, the scent of the woodsy fragrance that knocked on her nose, and even the sound of the crickets that filled the night or the birds that filled the woods with life kept reminding her of the reason why they were in their current situation.