XII

"Has the famous Phantom Eyes eventually made me their target?" An amused tone was heard from behind her before the door creaked and slammed shut behind her.

Only the crackles of the fire from the fireplace and candles were heard throughout the room. Aella held her dagger tightly close to her chest; planning how to defend herself or how to launch an attack, while Annie held a dagger as well, twirling it in her hand while she wore a mocking smile.

Both were ready to attack and were just waiting for the other to move. The air within the room was thick enough to pierce through the two of them. The shadows within the chamber danced like spectating hyenas that watched the two. One a wolf who had caught, cornered and was toying with a sheep, while the other was a wolf dressed in a sheep's hind playing the role of the helpless prey before it sank its fang. Both soon find out who will become the prey by the end of the night.

Annie always knew that this so-called phantom was a person but never expected it to be a woman, who looks small based on her stature. She did not find the thought of the rumored assassin to be an amusing one compared to the Aeviloks, as she was certain it was one of the three brothers who were the ones who had hired the killer to send a message to her and her brother that their negotiations in the past are now over. The three from the Naimor Dynasty had gotten what they wanted and had no more use for Annie and her brother.

She knew better than to underestimate the woman before her. This woman was able to slip into the castle unnoticed and just prance through the door of her chambers as though she was taking a walk in a spring filled meadow. Annie was impressed by this woman's skill and courage, one that was valuable in these times when the game of chess between the Alsius and the Aeviloks was about to break into an all out war between them, she needed to have this assassin on her side instead. Loyalty after all could be bought by a few coins of gold, all she had to do was offer bigger than what she was initially offered

"Tell me, who sent you, young one? How much did they pay you to kill me? I'll double it if you come and work for me instead. " Annie chuckled as she pushed herself off of the wall.

The arrogance in her voice made Aella feel rage boiling from a pit within her. Unable to control her rage as she remembered how her sister suffered by the hands of this woman she quickly bounded for the woman before swinging her dagger to try and stab her.

Annie reacted just quick enough to stop the knife a few inches away from her chest. Kicking her attacked on the gut to put some distance between them before slashing with her dagger aiming to sever her attacker's carotid artery.

"Is that a no then? To bad." Annie said with a tone of disappointment as she launched an attack on Aella.

Aella quickly dodged the attack by dropping to the floor and slashed her knife which hit Annie's right thigh as she did so. Kicking Annie's leg as well to try and knock the woman down. Standing up immediately taking advantage of the situation while her enemy was down.

Annie groaned in pain as she hit the floor with a thud, she now had a half pissed and amused smile on her face. Liking how the person before her was actually giving her a challenge. Seeing that Aella was coming forward trying to attack while she was down. She had responded by kicking Aella, aiming for her jaw, as she tried to stab her once again. Getting to her feet quickly before sending consecutive attacks of slashes towards Aella aiming to wound the latter and draw blood to get even.

Sounds of a blade piercing through the air echoed about, each wave of the blade being countered with another blade or by dodging.

Aella parried Annie's attacks that were now also filled with rage. Both of them panting and sweating, aiming for each other's throats, kicking one another when the other got too near, dodging and rolling away before attacking once more, not one willing to give up. Having been in this deadly cat fight as they created chaos across the room like a tornado that swept up everything that it came in contact with.