XVII

"Tell me who your leader is or I slit this beauty's throat." He pulled her hair back and pushed the blade to her neck.

He sounded so calm even as he threatened her, it was like he was simply talking about the weather over a cup of tea. Myrkur's voice made everyone's blood go cold, even colder than the frostbiting wind from the blizzard that they had to battle and that had threatened to cut their limbs on the way up the mountain.

Everyone just stared at him, torn between saving Aella and giving Grace away to the enemy. They wanted to save Aella but they also needed Grace. Both were valuable pillars of the Azaleas and losing one would take a big blow on the rebellion.

"It's me." All of their heads turned to Aella as she said the words, dumbfounded by what she just said but they know she is saying it in hopes that the real leader would be spared.

"Kill me and spare their lives." She knew it was naive for her to believe that he would let go of them in exchange for her life, but it was still worth a shot in her mind.

Myrkur chuckled at that and pushed the dagger a bit harder onto Aella's neck, she was expecting him to end her life there and then. Closing her eyes ready to meet her end. What she did not expect was that he fished for her necklace and hung it up for show by using the knife.

"Of coursebenevolent as always, your highness." She could feel him smiling from behind her.

Aella felt her blood turn cold as she felt her allies' eyes on her, their gaze questioning her as though asking what did the white haired man meant. Her secret was out, everyone knows, she looked away as she could not bare their gaze as guilt ate her up from the inside out. She was the only remaining royalty but she never made the move to lead the resistance to immediately win over the capitol. Guilt and shame raking through her form as she knows that she was with them simply to extract revenge.

"Oh, you didn't tell them?" Myrkur chuckled, using the knife to press against her cheek so she could look at her companions.

The knife on her cheek stung as the cold blade hit her soft flesh. It's cold metal contrasted with her skin that was trying to keep itself warm. She could feel her eyes sting as her eyes teared up as she looked at them. Her eyes glossy with unshed tears as she glared at Myrkur.

Myrkur, on the other hand, was having fun toying with her as he knew she was hiding. He knew all of the skills she possessed, all her victories, and the number of people she had killed with her alter ego. After years of trying to search for the body of the youngest Fridur, he finally found her. Breaking the walls she had created all those years to hide the scared and traumatized little girl she truly was, was amusing for him. Nothing better than seeing a supposedly, 'strong' opponent to be exposed and exploited of their weakness. He was going to break her until she wanted nothing more than for the pain to stop.

"This, little girl, is Altheia Fridur. The youngest daughter of the last king. This pendant is the evidence of her identity." Adjusting his hold on the dagger before pulling her pendant off of her neck, she felt the sharp pain on her neck as it snapped off. She was squirming in his hold as protested when he took her pendant and threw it on the ground.

"I am guessing none of you also knew that she was the legendary Phantom Eyes. The rising urban legend of Qaeven? I, thank you by the way, Altheia for getting rid of those imbeciles for me." He laughed as he held her cheeks.

She felt weak and exposed as all her secrets were laid bare before everyone else. If she felt guilty before she felt guiltier now, but she felt anger as well. She could feel the it rising within her, she wanted to shut this man up for all eternity.

"I wonder if you'll be as feisty as your brother or as scared as your sister. Would your father and mother be proud when they find out their precious daughter has turned into a murderer?" Shaking her as he taunted her with these questions.