Ch. 3: Surprise pt. 2

*three months later*

"Okay...I'll drop you off at the trailer, which I don't know why you want to still stay there when-"

"Because it's home..." I smile at Vivian as she drives down the interstate towards Philly, a permanent smile on my face from the idea of being with my family. "Besides...how else is it supposed to be a surprise if I don't show up there?"

"Okay..." she sighs, smiling towards me as she hands me her phone. "Call up the taxi service nearest to your house would ya?"

I give her a confused look before doing what she says, calling the number written on a paper on the dash.

——

"Mom! Dad! Shawn!"

I step into the trailer, dropping my suitcases down out of the way as Vivian struggles to fit through the door with the rest. We stopped by her apartment to gather the rest of my things, deciding to go ahead and bring it all home since I'll be here for a while longer than usual.

I help her, making her huff before fixing her clothes. She hates coming here, only because of the mud, dirt, and people who surround us. They seem to have an obsession with her.

"Okay...I have a plane to catch." She holds out a set of keys, smiling at me as I give her a confused look. "Here..."

"What?"

"Take the keys."

"But...it's your car?"

"I know. I'm giving it to you."

"But...I don't have a license?"

"Not yet. But you will before you know it."

"How are you-"

"Why do you think I called a cab?"

I shake my head, pushing the keys back towards her.

"No. I can't take it..."

"Why not?"

"Because...it's too much..."

"Stacy..." she forces the keys into my hand, a smile on her face as she meets my eyes. "There's no one who deserves it more...besides...I'm in need of an upgrade anyways."

I smile at her, a car horn sounding from outside. She brushes my hair behind my ear before pulling me into a hug. I sigh, gripping her tight as I mumble into her shoulder.

"I'll miss you..."

"I'll miss you too..." she pulls away, clearing her throat as she fixes her shirt. "Alright. I expect your best behavior. No drugs or alcohol. And no driving until your license is here...the cars still in my name and I'd rather not get that call..."

"I'll be good! Don't worry..."

I laugh, crossing my arms as I watch her open the door. She waves one last time before shutting it behind her. I'm left in the silent trailer, my hands moving towards my pockets as I scan what used to be my home. A smile drapes my lips as I see a picture of Shawn, no doubt from his last picture day.