Ch. 32: Act 1, Scene 2

"Okay..."

I sigh, sitting down at my desk in my room. I have my books in front of me as I prepare for the tests tomorrow. Natalie walks in, clearing her throat as she stands in my doorway.

"Hey..."

"What's up?"

I turn to her, offering a small smile as she shifts. Her fingers brush through her hair before she wipes her palms on her jeans. I draw my eyebrows together in confusion as I set my pencil down and turn fully towards her.

"I just wanted to say thank you..."

"For?"

"Giving me a place to stay the last few months...I've finally saved up enough for an apartment. I go sign the lease tomorrow..."

"You got an apartment? That's great!"

"Yeah...and since I'm eighteen, I don't need my mom anymore...I've got a pretty good job right now and my junior year is almost over..."

"Sounds like you got it all figured out."

I offer her a smile as she looks down. Her eyebrows seem tense as she chews on her bottom lip. She clears her throat again before looking up to meet my eyes.

"Do you think I can do this? Live on my own?"

"I think if anyone can do it, it'd be you...."

I give her another smile, encouragement behind this one as she nods. She offers me her own smile, exhaling a breathe of slight relief.

"Thanks, Stacy..."

"No problem..."

She nods, turning back towards the living room where she's been sleeping the last couple months.

"I'm gonna go do a final sweep of the couch and everything...I'm wanting it all ready so I can move in as soon as I can."

"Okay."

I turn back towards my textbooks and notes as she nods. She leaves my room without another word as I reach for my pencil. Another smile drapes my lips as I glance towards the now empty doorway.

——

"Day one of tests done!"

Samara plops down next to me as I read the script I'm still needing to memorize. I don't look up, too busy rereading the lines I need to know for the audition. People walk past us, not paying attention to the two girls sitting on the wall separating the stairs from the floor below.

"What're you up too?"

"I have to learn these lines before next week...I haven't been going over them as much as I wanted to because of all the tutoring sessions and preparing for these tests myself..."

"Isn't it easier to practice with other people?"

"Yeah but everyone's been busy! Including me!"

I slump against the wall, my eyes closing as I reach up to rub them. Samara sighs, the last bell of the day ringing above us. She gives me a sorry look before standing.

"I wish I could help, but I'm starting a new job today..."

"What happened to the record store?"

"The owner went to prison for fraud...I'm working at the movie store now!"

"So...expect movies for Christmas and my birthday, right?"

I give a smile as she laughs, giving me a look.