Chapter 18

Anastasia's POV

"Planning a banquet is so tiresome," I complained to Ariliana before me who was sorting out documents needed for the banquet.

"Oh but it is surely to be a splendid gathering older sister, I heard that the Crown Prince of Valerian was coming I bet he will catch your eye!" Ariliana exclaimed excitedly. I shrugged off her statement, Crown Prince George Nile Valerian was rumored to be a tyrant who killed all of his oppressors before the king fell ill.

Although it's certainly possible that any day now the emperor's life would be ceased because of his illness and the crown prince shall rule.

"I am not fond of the idea of a merciless tyrant Ariliana," I sighed. She looked surprised and kind of disheartened,

"But you haven't met his Majesty still!" She exclaimed, I raised a brow to her persistence.

"Ah, what I meant to say is that there's more to a character than just the appearance sister!" She smiled and avoided my gaze. I saw Xaervin's face changed to a disgruntled look, the moment our eyes met he also avoided my gaze.

What's up with the people here?

"I almost forgot sister, I have etiquette lessons today and after that I'll head straight to your palace so we can get ready for your special banquet!" Ariliana smiled at me, she took the hands of her knight that I forgot the name of and bid farewell to my staff and Xaervin.

As soon as the door shut, Xaervin approached me hurriedly.

"The assassin is still locked inside your brewery your Highness," Xaervin whispered with caution.

I still haven't discussed with him about the incident, and how I know everything was planned by him. But still, I doubt he had any harmful intentions.

"Bring him out here, and also—" I tugged unto Xaervin's collar.

"Bring out my alchemy potions."

——————

"I'm not telling you anything!" The assassin who was tied up on a chair yelled at the top of his lungs, after being beaten till he bled by almost every aspect of his body he's still lively.

"I'm giving you a chance to redeem yourself, don't test my patience." I said. He scoffed and spat on my dress with a smirk.

"A powerless royal like you won't and can't do anything that's about to happen, you low daughter of a whore can't equivalate to—" I slapped him.

Hard.

So much so that my room echoed the impact, a bright red imprint of my hand shun through the puddles of blood on his face.

My mind just went blank, I didn't know why? Who is he to insult me?

I grabbed his chin as hard as I could and made him stare at me, "I already know who you are Hae Reedus, I know where your family is, I know who you work for, and I know the children you keep at the orphanage oh trust me I know everything." I smiled at him, his mouth agape.

Xaervin handed me a potion I made and had been working on for a week or so, it made the person who was cursed by it to experience unbelievable pain and torture, and I am the only one who has a cure.

I also took a potion that made his mouth shut, he couldn't speak nor mumble any words, he also couldn't write or act out anything that happened today.

"So you see this potion? This makes you to not speak, act, or write anything that happened today, and this one gives you excruciating pain that only I have the cure to. So what I'm gonna do is send you back to the empress, and let's see how long would she let you live." I smiled at him as his face went pale, his mouth jittering as he was speechless.

He yelled for forgiveness and such but I ignored him, I gave Cordelia the potions and Hana to assist her while Xaervin drags the man to the forest then delivers him to the Empress' palace.

In such situations I would not resort to this cruel and unusual punishment, but this man is the lowest of the low, a scum of the society.

He takes advantage of little girls in the night especially to his illegitimate daughters in the orphanage, he's an abuser who doesn't leave his home without his family covered in scars. He harasses the normal civilians because he has a rank as a royal guard and such.

I don't bother nor do I have an ounce of sympathy for the man.

I don't bother to have sympathy for the lowest of the low.

————––———–

"Your highness?" Cordelia's eyes met mine as I raised a brow to her nervousness.

"We have an issue regarding the dress you're going to wear tonight," she darted her gaze to her right revealing an off putting muddy green dress with an unflattering cut and a distorted top.

"What happened?" I tilted my head from confusion, Hana 'coughed' as she held a letter from the empress.

I took it with caution and opened it,

'To my dearest daughter,

       I hope this letter finds you well. I know your banquet is coming up so I have personally hired a designer to craft a dress suited for you.

                                           Regards,
                                     Your Empress.'

I scoffed at her arrogance, I can't believe she can handle being so pompous and fake.

"It's a horrible dress your majesty," I hear Xaervin's voice perked up as he tried to contain his laughter, I raised a brow as he immediateloapry apologized.

"Give me the dress," I ordered Cordelia who handed me the dress with embarrassment.

I tugged the dress with force on both sides as a rip occured on its back.

"Your Highness! What are you do-" Cordelia was cut off when I handed her the ripped dress.

"Deliver this back to the Empress' maid, tell her the measurements were off and the dress ripped, but to not fret as we already have a dress prepared." I brushed off their concern gazes and smiled.

"Won't the Empress' palace interprete this as an act of disobedience?" Hana's voice filled with concern.

"Then, good?" I raised a brow.

"Let them know that I will not back down like I did before," I smiled at them as they shook their heads with reluctance.

"I will escort Cordelia to the Empress' palace in case they'd try to do something suspicious." Hana bowed, I nodded as they both went out and closed the door.

My eyes gazed to Xaervin who glanced at me from time to time.

"How is the guard doing?" My voice chipped as he seemed startled.

"H-he is doing well your majesty, what I meant was— he is performing his duty like we hope he would. He's currently in the Empress' chambers trying to get a word out of him." He bowed his head.