Chapter 21

Anastasia's POV

To say I was delighted is an understatement, I felt like a teenager  attending her first prom with her beloved. Xaervin was an excellent dancer, and it was a blessing to be his partner.

I'm glad I was able to enjoy such tranquility amidst what has happened for the past week or so.

"Your Highness, you seem to be in deep thoughts." Xaervin handed me a small cupcake in hopes of lifting up my spirits.

"It's nothing for you to worry about, Xaervin." My nose touched his cheek as I chuckled, I didn't realize on how close our faces were as nobles started to whisper.

"I-I think it's time for you to find a new partner to dance with, after all you were already my first." Xaervin immediately blushed when I finished my sentence, I was left in confusion for his attitude.

He kissed my hand, "I want to inform you that I will not enjoy the dances I will have in the future as long as you aren't my partner, your Highness." His smile lit up the room as I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Stop with your flatteries and go on, build connections that'll help us in the future, all right?" I smiled at him as he only nodded.

I waved goodbye to the seemingly puppy-like man waving goodbye at me, finding his next target.

"Sister," Calix called out to me and held out his hand, I raised a brow with a smile.

"How flattering for the crown prince to invite me to dance, I admit I'm quite embarrassed as my skills aren't on par with someone like you." I chuckled as he only shook his head.

The music started once more, my brother's hand assisted my waist as he kept twirling me like I weighed as light as a feather. His moves were graceful in contrast to Xaervin who danced with passion.

"I'm surprised you still aren't engaged yet sister." My eyes widened with confusion, I furrowed my brows as he only laughed.

"Nobody wants to be betrothed to a cursed royal, Calix." He frowned and held a disgruntled look.

"Then I'll just decapitate any royal who dares to make a mockery of my sister, especially if they think that she's a cursed first-born." His voice raised so every noble present heard him. I was surprised by his actions, he doesn't gain anything by protecting me right now.

My lips turned to a smile as I kissed his cheek, "Thank you brother." His eyes widened at my response, I tilted my head and asked about his look.

"This is the first time you have called me your brother with such sincerity, I am truly happy." He chuckled, is that all to please somebody like him?

The music stopped and he gracefully stopped in his tracks, before letting go of my hand, he approached me seemingly close to whisper something.

"From this day on, everything will be much more chaotic. Expect a new emperor quite soon, my dear sister." I felt my heart dropped as I immediately faced him with a concerned look.

He tapped my shoulder and assured me, in such a way you won't even suspect he's planning to overthrow his own father, who knows maybe even kill him?!

My brother bid me farewell as I could only hope he wouldn't get himself in trouble. Well, he is a main character so I doubt his plan would go array, with so much chaos happening lately I need to refresh upon my knowledge in the novel.

A few nobles started to approach me and form a crowd, they were curious about the secluded royal of the esteemed Valentine lineage.

"May I say, you look gorgeous your Highness." I shifted my gaze to a red-haired before me, my eyes widened when I realized it was Henrietta Lockes.