028 - Served Chicken

"Are you sure we should do this?" Gally and I stood in the middle of the fight circle, digging our feet into the sand.

"You don't really use your leg during wrestling, do you?" I put my hands on my hips.

He sighed. "Yes, I know, but... but Jeff said intense activity could also hurt."

"That's what she said."

"I'm serious, Val. He said that too much activity at once can cause pain and more issues."

I scowled at him. "You promised."

After throwing his head back and sighing even more, he said, "Fine, then. What do you want to learn?"

"How to defend myself. From creeps, mostly." I explained fast.

"So you want to learn how to fight, not wrestle?" He titled his head. "Okay."

I nodded. "Okay."

"Punch me."

"Excuse me?"

"In the face."

My mouth dropped open. "I'm not doing that."

He lifted an eyebrow. "I thought you wanted to learn how to fight. We don't have punching bags and I'm not gonna let you use a tree again. So punch me."

"I can't just punch you."

"Why the hell not? Just do it."

With a few more protests, I swung my fist through the air, ready to hit, but then he grabbed my hand before I could even reach.

I gasped.
"I don't call that a punch." He said. "You're not standing strong. Move your feet, because the enemy could easily push you over like this."

I obeyed.

"And you don't have to swing your fist all the way to the back of your ear, yeah?"

I nodded and tried again. Just to fail. He easily defended himself by pushing my wrist away.

"I'm sick of this already." I grumbled. "Something else?"

He laughed, shaking his head. "Don't give up just yet. Try again."

I tried again. I failed again.

"Try to surprise me with it. So I'm not fast enough to defend." He put his hands beside him and watched me carefully.

Sighing, I failed another time.

"Okay." He hummed while rubbing his chin. "Let's try something else, then. Get me on the ground."

"Man. You're a giant. How am I supposed to do that?" I groaned. He stood strong again, feet at shoulder length, face like stone but eyes happy.

"Just try it."

I gave him a push on the shoulders. He didn't faze in the slightest.

"You're not some kind of weak thing. You beat those Builders, too. Shouldn't be hard to put me on the ground." Gally said. "Try again, Ginger."

I pushed with more force now, but never enough to get him on the ground.

"Have your feet inserted roots into the ground? I can't do this." I took a step away again. He raised his eyebrows higher, expecting me to do something.

"Surprise me with it, as I said. And push with more force. No offense." He smiled warmly. "You got it."

I bit my lip, fully concentrated as I grabbed his shoulders and pushed. But he didn't move and I couldn't push him.