041 - A New Arrival

Jeff sat me down on a Med Bed. He went through drawers, got medicine, serums, and bandages. "I think you'll be fine." He announced, walking over to me. "Can I lift your shirt a bit?"

I nodded. He started inspecting my side carefully. "Alright. I'll clean it up, put some bandages over it, and give you a serum."

I nodded. Hid my wrists again.

"Okay." He disinfected the wound, which caused me to wince slightly, but it wasn't too bad. Jeff was surprisingly quick with the job. Soon a bandage was taped onto it.

"Abrasions on your knees and elbows." He muttered, mostly to himself. "I'll clean those too. No bandages needed, because that'll only take longer to heal."

I let him treat the scratches, clenching my jaw.

"What's up with you?" He bent to my left elbow. "Where are your talks?"

I shrugged. "I don't have anything to say."

He frowned. "But you always have sometimes to say."

"And now I don't." I told him, not showing any emotions.

"How'd you get all the wounds?"

"A Griever's spike in my side. Scratches from the stone on my knees and elbows. A few bruises on my back since that thing threw me against the wall." I explained fast.

He hummed, topping the last abrasion with a serum. "And your wrists?"

My stomach dropped. "What?"

"Let me see." He look at me in a such a imitating way I couldn't help but to hold up both my wrists.

He watched them for a while. "Someone squeezed them. Not broken. Bruised, maybe. But it's getting blue." A pause. "Who did that?"

"Who do you think?" I snapped, still sad and angry at the argument Gally and I had.

He was spreading a cream on my wrists too now. "Why did he do that?"

"He's not abusive."

"That's not what I asked."

"Please don't tell anyone."

"That's not what I asked."

I sighed. "Because he was angry."

Jeff didn't say anything else and handed me a clean shirt instead. "Take a shower or something."

"Where's Clint?"

"A gathering. About what they're gonna do with you and the Greenie."

"His name is Thomas." I corrected. "Why don't I get to be at that gathering?"

He shrugged again, smiling. "Welcome to my life."

I exhaled deeply and leaned against the wall, staring at Jeff cleaning everything up again.

"I shucked up, didn't I?" It was almost a whisper.

"That depends." Jeff looked up at me. "I like to see things at the positive side."

That left me smiling. It was what Ben always said.

"You survived. Proofed you could do it, because that was your plan, wasn't it?"

I nodded, but raised an eyebrow. "How do you know?"

"I'm not dumb. Anyone could've known if they... paid attention, or whatever." He sat down next to me, close, but not touching.

"But I won't be able to be a Runner. I can't run properly." I felt sad again. Looked down at the ground as my legs hung over the bed.

"You're the Third-in-command."