050 - Epilogue

Gally appeared to have survived the pole in his chest.

He reunited with Thomas and his friends halfway through their journey to save Minho from WICKED.

Chuck by that time was all safe with Vince, in the Safe Haven. He had a hard time surviving the Scorch, but whenever they had to run, Minho was strong enough to lift the kid over his shoulder.

And now they were in the Safe Haven. Even Newt, who caught the Flare along the way. Brenda, a new friend they met, was fast enough to save him, and when Newt woke up, he shared a kiss with Thomas. They confessed to each other.

Valerie had been right, Newt realized. He smiled at it.

Getting over her death was hard. Very hard, but he got through it.

Gally, in fact. Well...

He was... not doing the best during it all. But he hid it, somehow. Ignored how everyday his soul was eating itself until there was nothing left.

But now that they were in the Safe Haven, rising a cup for all the people they lost after Vince's speech, he accepted it. He would never love someone like he loved her again, but he got okay with it.

He got nicer to people, too. Like she told him. Maybe now he was actually friends with Thomas. He had helped them, after all. Helped them like she would've done.

Then, at night, when most people were sitting around a bonfire, he carved her name into stone, unwanted tears rolling down his cheeks. He carved Ben and Josephine, too. Only for her. Anything for her.

What he hadn't told anyone, was that he sneaked her notebook out of the maze. He had stuffed it in his pocket before they even left.

And now, after all those months, he got the courage to read it. He had tried to do it before, but he couldn't even look at the thing or he nearly broke down.

She had specifically told him not to read it the one time he had to pick it up from her hut, but he decided that he would open it anyways. She would've been okay with that, right?

He sat down on a bench, away from everyone at the fire. A warm breeze hit his skin as he took the notebook out of his pocket.

It was black, and quite small. The edges were crooked and damaged a bit. Slowly, he opened it, swallowing away the lump in his throat.

A note fell out.

His breathing hitched. It was thin paper. Written on it with a black pen. He folded it open, and read.

For my Gally,

So that together we can cry and laugh about my poems when we escape the maze.
So we can live together, always.

And a house like we talked about,
With our love an uncountable amount.

I love you, Gally.

- Your Ginger