Chapter 5

I'm headed to Dr Sarah's today, after mum brought it  up at dinner the other night she made an appointment.

Dr Sarah has been my therapist since I was thirteen, with Madison's taunts about dad's little involvement in my life at the time and my own insecurities, it all seemed to weigh me down.

Then, I found happiness in nothing. At first, it was the occasional sadness then I slowly started drifting into depression. I was homeschooled for two years, before I finally overcame the depression however my anxiety is one I still grapple with.

It's among the reasons I hate contact, any form of contact triggers me. If someone were to make eye contact with me it would add to my anxiety heightening the chances of an attack.

My mum and the twins are the only ones who have had any contact with me for the past couple years and yet contact with them is still difficult to make sometimes. I still tense up or stiffen when they give me a hug.

"Kayla dear, is that you?"

"Yeah"

Mum walks out of her room looking weary.

"Are you ok?"
I ask pressing my hand against her forehead to check her temperature.

"You're burning up."

I lead her back into the bedroom, lay her down and rush to get a cold compress to reduce her fever.

"You can't go to the hospital like this."

"I'm fine"

"You're fine?"

She remains silent.

"I'll go to Dr Sarah's alone, you get some rest. Don't get out of bed ok, see you later."

"Bye love you."

"Love you too."

I rush to prepare breakfast for the both of us, before getting ready for school.

"When are you leaving for the hospital?"
Luca asks.

"After lunch"

"Ok"

"You should start packing up, get your things in your locker before lunch is over."

"Yeah, I'm gonna go."

"Love you guys."

I'm stuffing my things in my locker when Fiona walks up to me,

"Hey, saw you leaving the cafeteria. Are you headed somewhere?"

"Yeah"

"Oh ok, should I still come over today?"

"No thanks"

"Well see you tomorrow then."

"Yeah bye"

She walks away.

______

She's focused on her computer when I enter offering me a seat.

"Hey Kayla"

"How are you doing today?"

"I'm ok"

"How's things been?"

"Same"

"I'm gonna need you to elaborate."

"I mean it's the same cycle I go to school barely talk to anyone other than the twins, when I'm home mum's not."

She leans forward, maintaining eye contact and a calm demeanor.

"The contact thing? I haven't been able to get past two hugs."