Chapter 11

Mum and I are getting ready to leave for breakfast with the Smiths, things have been a little rough with Luca and Lila this past two weeks.

As a result of my outburst that day, they took a step back from me. I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt.

At school, we see each other often but are avoiding ourselves. Most times in the hallway, we'll walk by each other without even saying hi.

Soon we're out the door on our way to the Smiths.

Today's mother-daughter day since mum has a couple days off.

"Kay"

Mum voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"How're things with the twins?"

"We're still not on talking terms."

"Have you tried getting them to talk?"

"They won't talk to me."

"Ok, then give them time."

"Their silence hurts so much. They barely look my way at school, whenever I approach them in the hallways they always end up taking a different route."

"So have y'all been sitting together at lunch still?"

"No"

"Fiona has attempted to keep me company in the meantime, but I don't want her sitting with me especially if it may only increase their anger towards me."

"I can get that but you don't have to push her away because of them, you should only make such decisions after considering how it may affect you."

"Do you really want her away?"

"I don't know mum, but I know I miss my friends and I'll do anything for us to make up."

"I know"

"We'll talk about this later, let's get going."

"Ok mum"

And soon, we're out of the house.

In a few minutes we're at the front door, waiting for it to be opened.

Lila pries the door open looking between mum and I.

"Welcome Rebecca, come in"

She states, ushering us in although completely ignoring my presence. 

Once we're inside mum follows her into the kitchen, while I take a seat on the couch not knowing how to be useful especially with the silence that fill the room if Lila and I are alone.

After some time passes, I walk into the kitchen to see what I could help with finding Lila all alone doing the finishing touches to our food.

"Hey, is there anything I could help with?"
I inquire in a timid voice.

It's pretty clear she won't be needing my help, yet the tension and silence in the air needs to be filled.

"No, you can go sit at the table."

"Lila, I know you're upset with me but please can we talk after breakfast?

Still, she doesn't look up at me.

"Lila, please we need to talk. All three of us."

This time, she hums in response yet again faced down.

"I'll help with these."

Taking the few prepared bowls out placing them at the table. Soon enough, the table is set.