Interlude: Crumbling Hearth

"Papa! You promised me a cake!"

Velki stepped back from the covered windows with a hand over her mouth. The upset girl tugged on the man's hand and he picked her up.

"Sweetie, the baker girl isn't out today. You'll just have wait and be a good girl for Dad, hm?" he soothed, his voice easily floating into her home and Velki hit a wall as she backpedaled, sliding down to lay on the dark and messy living room floor. Her house next to the bakery was dark inside and Velki stared at the thin gap of light that pierced the gloom.

"Be a good girl...for Papa."

Velki rocked back and forward as the words repeated over and over in her head like some invasive spirit.

"Go away... it's got to go away," she begged aloud. She climbed to her feet and sat down on the stiff rocking chair nearby.

She gathered herself and tried to breath in and out.

The thick rich air, so different from what she came to expect from Durence, hit the back of her mouth and she shook slightly at the Mana. Velki had never tasted such pure mana before and she wished she still hadn't.

Every sensation, every thought, every second was a heightened experience.

It was not what Velki wanted, it was not even close.

The bare empty house around her was an incomplete dollhouse and the sheer lack of any personal touch suddenly grated on Velki like sandpaper.

"Air, I need...outside air. Maybe the Mana is just thicker indoors?" she half-hoped and took off without her coat or locking her door.

Velki couldn't exactly fear being robbed when she had nothing to her name bar ingredients and some cookbooks.

Durence in the mid-day looking a little charming and a little distressing.

Normal looking people stopped to chat to the the energetic Mr Haldi who was halfway down the old worn well that looked barely used. Next to the older man was a another man with a thick pair of black glasses on and an umbrella made of some kind of leather.

Mr Von the Banker. Velki remembered meeting him not but a night ago. Mr Von looked up as if hearing Velki's thoughts. He stared at her and made a start towards her. Velki felt her heart stop and she fled the other way.

The banker had an odd sense of humor and Velki was sure her mother would have died on the spot listening to the creature. She looked over her shoulder, not seeing Mr Von before she smacked into someone.

"My apologies-" Velki put on her polite smile and then froze as Mr Von peered down at her.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Baker girl? Were you running from me?" he asked, his voice taking on some unholy glee. Velki looked at him with wide eyes.

"I...you were back there, how did you-" she began to ramble and Mr Von raised one finger.

"Now, I could answer that but I won't because it will annoy you," he responded calmly. Velki stared at him and sure enough, a spark of indignation rose up in her but Mr Von merely peeled off a glove and stuck a pale finger out from under the shade of the umbrella and after a few seconds the finger began to smoke.

Velki stared as Mr Von pulled out a thin cigarette and lit it with his burning finger.

"Come strut your stuff with me. I have some investments to collect and I can use someone with..." he trailed off to blow smoke off as he gave her a once over and Velki narrowed her eyes.

Now she hoped the Mana would give her the power to shoot powerful eye beams at people.

"With my witty charm? My new and innocent air?" Velki asked with a raised one eyebrow. Mr Von snorted.