°An Exchange For A Favor Granted°

Now they were in a real pickle, there's a day left before this part of the exam ends, and Nahida is still missing two badges. They haven't encountered anyone yet, and it was starting to annoy Wanderer.

The poor river and the rocks around it suffered his wrath. Kicking them into the water, and even hitting a fish swimming about, making the water turn red before it floated up.

Nahida sighed, both at his actions and the death fish.

"You were the one that said we had time, why are you so stressed out?"

He kicked another pebble, making it lodge inside a tree trunk. Wanderer huffed and turned his head towards her. His frown grew with each word.

"Time? We have one more day, and we're not any closer to getting you the badges!"

Saying it out loud made his anger worse. He turned back to the river and kept kicking the rocks. Nahida sighed, lowering her gaze as she entered her mind.

Many scenarios appeared in her head, possible ways to gain those badges withing their limited time. All of these included finding Shishitos badge, encountering an examinee with two badges on them, but each scenario required luck. And it seems they ran out of it.

She stood up with a sigh, watching Wanderer keep releasing his anger on the water. All the 'splashes' and how his clothes turned a darker shade of their original color from the water made her sigh once more.

"Come on, we don't have time. Let's keep moving and hope for the best."

Wanderer groaned, kicking the water one more time for good measure before jumping towards her. Nahida looked up at him, waiting for him to pick her up and fly off, but he crossed his arms without moving instead. His gaze elsewhere.

Nahida blinked, after realizing she was expecting Wanderer to pick her up, like he had done during each exam. That, was interesting. Before being transported here, Wanderer had never picked her up during their walks. Only whenever it rained, or if they needed to fly. Hmm, this didn't seem like a bad habit...

Wanderer raised his brow at seeing her so deep in thought.

"What?"

She looked up at him.

"You know, I was actually expecting you to pick me up."

Wanderer paused for a moment as the words sinked in.

"Ha! Really?"

He grinned before kneeling down, finally at eye level with her as their gazes meet.

"You got used to it? Why am I not surprised?"

Nahida smiled at his playful expression.

"What can I say? It's quite nice."

He hummed and closed his eyes, before gently scooping her up without a word, Nahida giggled as he placed her above his shoulder. She took his hat and placed it on her head as the sudden breeze threatened to take it away from her grasp. The refreshing wind swept passed their faces.

"I miss being tall, and being able to look at people while talking. Not having to stretch my neck out just to make eye contact."

She heard Wanderer hum as he walked forward.

"You're not missing out on much."

Nahida chuckled at that.

"Well, I don't think you're someone that can tell me that."

He narrowed his eyes at her.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Her giggle made him huff, his gaze softening slightly.