Episode 10

Mumbai 

India

Violent gales of thunderstorm howled. The sky had turned black an hour ago. Rudra with his hands on the steering wheel, highway lights shining on his face periodically, glanced at the unconscious figure beside him. The vulnerable male was breathing as meekly as an undisturbed lake. His otherwise radiant face was smudged with soot on his right temple and cheek. Rudra would had bothered turning him in a hospital if not for his steady and strong heartbeat.

When he faced the front again, he realised Bhavani's address was merely two turns away in a native colony. He exhaled sharply through his nose, ignoring persistent muted calls from his family and law associates. He experienced a sharp pain just at the thought of clearing the legal mess, diverting attention of satanic media and feeding a reasonable excuse to his brothers about why he resembled to a worker in charcoal factory. His clothes had been ruined, white tee turned patterned black, in the process of playing knight in shining armour for an unconscious damsel in distress.

When Rudra took specified turns, he found himself gritting his teeth at the eerie voice and visions flickering in his mind. Apparently whatever Bhavani was or whatever he had it in him, was ready for Rudra to explore his past. It was presenting him such a tempting offer he found it hard to resist.

Visions of blue and red, of rejuvenating air, of infinite blue sky..

How much could a man resist before he would finally give in?

He parked before the old house, rusty iron gate blocking entrance to a homely verandah glistening under streetlights in night. The black mercedes was definitely out of place in the middle class locality but Rudra had no choice in the matter.

He turned to Bhavani. There was a tender look in his reserved eyes this time. Delicately, avoiding the uncomfortable memory of the man surrounded in fire, he stroked his hairs. He never gave much thought to his own feelings until now. Rudra felt protective for him for reasons he knew should be discovered.

He gave in.

Flickers of orange and amber engulfed him.

When the fiery sheath cleared, Rudra was left staring at a waterfall facing green grass stretching for miles. The grass was moist, and so were the leaves of trees. It must be the lands of central Madhya Pradesh, he concluded.

A woman, her curves impossible to be ignored, faced the rushing waters, back to him. He stepped forward as the chilly wind fluttered her curly hairs behind her, her bare shoulders as golden as amber of thousand suns. A sober blue cloth was wrapped around her bosom and so was a dhoti around her lower body. Her shoulders bowed down as arms strained against the weight of bow. An ethereal beauty despite her masculine choice of game.

As soon as Rudra rounded before her, the scenery changed.

Amber firelight was shining on the deserted walls of the cave. The same woman, now a hundred times more dangerous and crazy, danced to the tunes of what he made of the circle of fire, a tantra sadhna. She was muttering an ancient mantra which was as powerful as her mad moves in this creepy place. He shuddered at her furious form, of Kali dancing to the song of death.

The world began to drown in a black labyrinth. Reality distorted here since Rudra had enough first hand experience of this state. Here all would come crashing down as one. Whatever moment of life emotionally outshone the other would appear prominent here.

"Bhavani!"

Rudra jolted back to the world. His heart leaped out his chest when he got the frightening glimpse of her eyes, of Bhavani, as she aimed her rageful stare at someone behind him.

Who was the other woman?

Why did she sound so much like Ganga? Rudra was well familiar with every inch of her. It had to be her voice only!

What transformed Bhavani from a divine maiden to a lethal tantric practitioner dancing with the shadows of evils and demons?

He looked at Bhavani, attempting to continue the vision. However he was disappointed again. Whatever had let him view his past life had retreated back in an unknown realm, leaving Rudra with more questions than answers.

Why did Bhavani feel so familiar then? Why?

Author's note: Hello dear readers! This is the first twist aka the piece of puzzle in this book

Author's note: Hello dear readers! This is the first twist aka the piece of puzzle in this book. Munch on it lovelies and enjoy!