Episode 18

Jaipur

​​​​​​​India

The classical royal blue mercedes led and followed by beeline of SUVs, pulled up on driveway. Harsh late morning rays bounced on vibrant grass on either sides at an uncomfortable intensity.

Bhavani inhaled deeply to calm his jittery nerves. He assured himself. Randomly joining a royal life far in west was no big deal.

His jaw clenched. My foot.

Rudra was tensed beside him. His stoic face was devoid of his inner turmoil, save for minute details Bhavani had trained himself to observe, such as stiff shoulders and alertness of snapping eyes. Sleep deprived alike Bhavani, Rudra turned to him. "Greet my father with khamma ghani raja sa whenever you come across him, get it?"

He looked away and entertained the prim lawn. There was a sigh and opening and closing of door. He furiously pushed open and shut his side of door in retaliation.

An arm raised over his eyes, Prithvi was squinting. "The welcoming rituals will be long ones," He croacked out before clearing his throat.

He nodded, his own arm side ways shielding him while he frowned at the fisted hand hovering over Rudra seven times to ward off evil eye.

"Seems like a festival in itself," He noted.

Prithvi hummed. "A soon to be king after all."

The festive fervour had impassioned everyone. It resembled more to a coronation than for mahakali puja. Male servants trudged with bundles of auspicious fruits like bananas on their backs, festoons of marigolds, roses and other flowers. Young girls giggled while sneaking a glance at Rudra from farthest corner in loggia. They accidentally glanced in Bhavani's direction before whispering in each others' ears.

He put his hands in pockets of dark pants. "Is it a ritual?" His head tilted back at tilak ceremony.

Prithvi peered at Rudra. "It's not necessary, well for a king it is...but for someone who's back to birthland after a decade, it sort of becomes a compulsion."

He frowned at the strange information and looked around again. As far as he knew other royals would join as well. "So how many royals have arrived already?"

"None for now. Vikram bhai, uhm royals of Jodhpur will arrive tomorrow morning. Other royals and politicians will arrive on ninth day, spiritual witnesses to the successful completion of annual worship."

Taking in the exhausted and uneasy form of doctor, evident by white coat dangling on one shoulder, he leaned on his left leg. "Sorry."

Thick but arched brows pulled together in question.

He focused between him and Rudra twice, hinting. "It's definitely a family event and I'm clearly an intruder here."

Prithvi shook his head before a friendly smile graced his thin lips. "You're a miracle to bring him back."

His brows furrowed. "Excuse me?"

"Looks like its my turn now, follow me."

There were many queries however he followed Prithvi.

The more he neared to the sophisticated mother son duo, the more he felt out of place. Rudra was trailing him like a hawk, making him self conscious ten times further he was. The compelling woman beside Rudra had an irrefutable influence embedded in her mere gaze. Just like her son, she silently observed him, assessed him. However there was no malice in her intentions, only raw curiosity.