chapter 21

Nafeesa approached me and gently lifted my chin. "Is this how you serve your masters?" she inquired, her voice tinged with disappointment, and her eyebrows drew together in concern. I struggled to meet her gaze—her beauty was undeniable, with her tall stature and delicate features. Before I could gather my thoughts, I was jolted back to reality by her sharp voice.

"Why are you staring at me?" Nafeesa demanded, her eyebrows shooting up in disapproval.

"I'm sorry," I stammered, feeling overwhelmed by the situation.

"Sorry for yourself. You're such a bothersome maid. You belong in the gutters!" she laughed scornfully.

"Just watch the where you where staring at me. I wonder why ammi would employ a girl like you," she declared, pointing a finger in my direction.

I felt a surge of defiance rising within me, but I knew I couldn't afford to lose my composure. Instead, I silently turned to leave the room. As I started to walk away, Nafeesa's imperious voice cut through the air.

"Who asked you to leave? You must come back, kneel down, and bow before serving me," she commanded, her posture regal as she sat majestically on the sofa.

Naima, who had been seated on the sofa, rose and intervened. "Feesa, let's go to my room," she suggested, dragging her suitcase behind her.

Before Nafeesa could utter a word, we heard the sound of Hajjiya rukaiya footsteps descending the staircase. Nafeesa and I stood as Hajjiya rukaiya approached, warmly greeted by nafeesa. I quietly seized the opportunity to slip away to the kitchen, while Naima continued to pull nafeesa's suitcase to her room and Nafeesa followed closely behind her, their footsteps echoing through the silent villa.

*************

Alone in the kitchen, the weight of the humiliation bore down on me, and tears welled in my eyes. Nafeesa exuded confidence and sophistication, while I, a simple house girl, struggled to find my place in their world. The embarrassment became crushing, and I couldn't hold back my tears.

That's when Hajjiya Rukaiya, the kind-hearted house wife, entered the kitchen and found me wiping away my tears.

"Why are you crying?" Hajjiya Rukaiya asked with concern evident in her voice as she entered the kitchen.

"Am not crying, ammi," I quickly managed to utter, trying to hide my tears.

"From the look I know something is fishy. Just tell me, and don't hide anything from me," she said firmly, her eyes filled with empathy.

I couldn't escape her questions, so I started narrating everything that had happened, feeling her comforting presence beside me.

"Don't allow someone to make you feel bad. Nafeesa is just like Naima, but don't worry. I will talk to her, ok? She just has that disrespectful attitude," she assured with confidence, her words like a soothing balm to my wounded spirit.

I nodded and wiped my tears, managing a small smile at her comforting words.

"That's my girl. I have good news for you," she said, her voice lifting with enthusiasm.

I was curious, and piped up, "What was that?"

"Yesterday night we were having dinner with Alhaji, and Naima suggested we should enroll you in school. So, Alhaji said he is planning to enroll you, but he left everything under my care because he's busy and will be traveling tomorrow," Hajjiya Rukaiya happily announced, her face beaming with joy at the prospect of a better future for me

At that moment, as tears of joy rolled down my cheeks, I struggled to find the words to express my overwhelming gratitude. "I don't know how to thank you enough, ammi," I managed to say, barely able to contain my emotions.