chapter 23

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard my name being called, bringing me back to reality. Naima looked at me with confusion and asked,

"What are you thinking?"

"Nothing," I quickly wiped away my tears before she could see them. But from the look on Naima's face, I could tell she knew I was lying. She saw the glistening tear tracks on my cheek before I could hide them. She felt sorry for me—she knew I had been listening to their conversations. It made me feel better to have her support, knowing that she saw through the judgmental attitudes of her brother and Nafeesa.

"I'm so sorry you have to go through all this," Naima said, squeezing my hand.

"It's fine, don't worry. Everything happens for a reason," I reassured her.

"Don't mind what you heard, okay?" she assured me.

"Okay, do you need anything?" I quickly changed the topic. I hated when people pitied me—it made me want to cry even more.

"Ammi said you should come and help me clear the table," Naima said.

As we made our way to the dining area, we met Hajjiya Rukaiya, Ya Moh, and Ya Umar in the sitting room. As we walked, I overheard Hajjiya Rukaiya saying...

"Jidderh, meet my two sons who have been studying abroad," Hajjiya Rukaiya happily said, introducing her sons to me. I greeted them warmly, smiling as I asked about their trip.

"Allhamdulillah, how are you doing?" Umar replied, returning the greeting.

"Allhamdulillah," I replied with a smile.

Meanwhile, Ya Moh was engrossed with his phone, a mysterious smile on his face. I could only wonder what had him so amused.

"Muhammad, she is greeting you," Hajjiya Rukaiya reminded her son, trying to get his attention.

He didn't raise his head, simply nodding in response. I felt a little embarrassed, and decided to excuse myself, making my way to help Naima clear the table. Once we were done, Naima went to her room, and I headed to mine, feeling exhausted from the day's events.

*************

"Bashir, you never change," Hajjiya Rukaiya teased.

"What happened, Ammi?" Muhammad asked, curious.

"Jidderh was greeting you, but you just nodded in response," Hajjiya Rukaiya inquired.

"I was busy checking something on my phone, that's why," Muhammad defended himself....

"Congratulations on your graduation, but remember, before starting your own business next month, I want both of you to get married," Hajjiya Rukaiya declared.

"I plan to pursue my master's first before thinking about marriage, Ammi," Umar responded, voicing his plans.

"Masters? Why waste time when we can start working right away? I don't believe in love anyways," Bashir declared confidently, his eyes glued to his phone.

"Before establishing your business, Alhaji will insist on both of you getting married. Love can bloom after marriage too," Hajjiya Rukaiya insisted.

"But Ammi, we don't have anyone in mind," Umar confessed.

"I have a girl in mind for you, Muhammad. And when Umar finishes his masters, I'll find someone for him too," Hajjiya suggested.

"Who is this girl, Ammi? I don't like the idea of a matchmaking," Muhammad asked curiously.

"You'll know when the time is right," Hajjiya assured her son.

"Can't wait to see you married," Umar teased, making Muhammad grimace.

"Stop it, I'm really not in the mood for it. Let's just go and rest," Muhammad stated, heading to his room, followed by Umar.

"I wonder if the girl is Nafeesa," Umar joked.

"She's a spoiled brat. I hope not," Muhammad grumbled.

"Perhaps birds of a feather flock together," Umar quipped.

"Enough, I'm tired. Let's just rest," Muhammad declared, as the brothers made their way to their rooms, leaving their conversation behind.

"I'll go help Alhaji pack," Hajjiya Rukaiya said, standing up and heading upstairs

---

"Naima, I traveled all this way to see you, and now we're fighting because of Jidderh, a filthy maid," Nafeesa confessed, looking deeply into Naima's eyes.

"It's not just about Jidderh, Nafeesa. Can't you find it in your heart to accept her? She's not as bad as you think," Naima persuasively said.

"Fine, I'll accept her. Is that all you want?" Nafeesa asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Yes, and let's learn to respect and treat others with kindness," Naima said, giving Nafeesa a warm hug.

"In one condition, though. You know I've had a crush on your brother, Moh. I want you to hook us up," Nafeesa said, releasing herself from the hug.

"No problem, girlfriend," Naima happily agreed..

******"

As Hajjiya Rukaiya and Alhaji packed in silence, Hajjiya Rukaiya broke the silence.

"Alhaji, since you'll be establishing a business for our sons, I know you'll want them to get married," Hajjiya Rukaiya said, arranging the suitcase.

"Of course," Alhaji replied.

"Why don't we hook Muhammad up with Jidderh? I've observed that she's a nice and obedient girl," Hajjiya Rukaiya inquired.

"You're right, Hajjiya. Jidderh is very obedient. Let's talk to both of them," Alhaji replied.

---*

I know this chapter is short but bear with me i have not been well that's y......

So what are your thoughts about this chapter?...

Who is your favorite character?...

Mine is ya Umar..

Don't forget to
Vote
Share
Comments

Kenzie 😍 luv you all 💓
.....