chapter 29

As we walked inside, both Aunty Maryam and Faiha were shocked to see me standing there. They both blurted out, "Jidderh!"

I walked over to where they were standing, without uttering a word.

Aunty, who had been standing there, knew that everything was now spoiled. She realized that all her lies were in vain and quickly tried to cover up.

"Oh my goodness, Jidderh, is that really you?" Aunty Maryam exclaimed, her eyes filling with crocodile tears as she rushed to embrace me.

I was shocked to see my aunt hugging me tightly and couldn't help but wonder what was happening. Faiha, who had been standing by and watching the drama, joined in the embrace. "We missed you so much, Jidderh," she said, pretending.

I managed to smile as I released myself from the hug, realizing that they were up to something.

Fatima stood there watching with wide eyes.

"What happened, Jidderh? Where did you go?" Aunty Maryam asked, trying to remain composed.

As Uncle Muktar stood up from the sofa, a mixture of shock and relief played out on his face. His eyes darted from Maryam to Jidderh, as if trying to understand a picture that was not quite clear in his head. He cleared his throat, gathering his thoughts before he spoke.

"Enough of this drama, Maryam!" he boomed, his voice cutting through the tension in the room.

Maryam feigned innocence, her voice dripping with false concern. "What drama? I told you she ran away. We're just trying to figure out where she's been," she retorted, her eyes glinting with a well-practiced facade of concern.

Uncle Muktar's expression soured as he couldn't contain his outrage any longer. "I never knew you were this heartless. You stooped so low as to threaten her, to send her away as a maid, and now you're standing here pretending? What's wrong with you, Maryam? I think of Jidderh as a daughter to you. I'm so disappointed in you," he accused, his voice laced with boiling anger.

The room fell into a shocked silence, save for Maryam's fake tears.

"Do you think your tears can change anything?" Uncle Muktar challenged, his eyes piercing into hers.

Maryam shook her head, tears streaming down her face, the guilt and shame written all over her.

"If Alhaji hadn't invited me to his house, I would have believed in your mysterious lies, and returned home without ever seeing Jidderh," he confessed, his disappointment evident in every word.

"It's the work of Shaitan," Maryam mumbled through her tears, seeking solace in excuses.

Uncle Muktar's voice rose in indignation. "Now you're blaming Shaitan for what you did. It's not me you need to apologize to, it's Jidderh," he demanded, not willing to let her off the hook so easily.

Auntie Maryam turned to Jidderh with disbelief in her eyes, a look of regret and sorrow etched into her features. "I'm so sorry, Jidderh. Please find a place in your heart to forgive me. Please, my daughter," she implored, her voice heavy with emotion.

I was taken aback. I never thought a day will come when Auntie Maryam would apologize to me. Tears of joy streamed down my cheeks, but i couldn't shake the feeling of doubt. I wished with all her heart that this was genuine, but i couldn't bring myself to trust Auntie Maryam's sudden change of heart. Lost in my thoughts, i was startled back to reality by the sound of Faiha's voice.

"Jidderh, I'm very sorry too. Please forgive me," Faiha said, tears glistening in her eyes.

"May Allah forgive us. We're all human, we make mistakes. No one is perfect," i said, wiping away my tears with a mix of relief and uncertainty.