chapter 26

As Feesa stomped out of the kitchen, her steps echoed in the hallway as she made her way upstairs. She swung the door open and found Naima lying on the bed, engrossed in her phone. With a deep sigh, Feesa closed the door behind her and sat on the bed, her expression clouded with frustration.

Naima glanced up, her brows knitting in confusion at Feesa's suddenly stormy demeanor. "What's wrong, Feesa?" she asked, her voice laced with concern.

Feesa shook her head, her anger simmering just beneath the surface. "Do you know if what we heard is true? Ya Moh is going to marry Jidderh," she stated, her voice tinged with frustration.

Naima's eyes widened in disbelief. "I can't believe it. So, what do we do now?" she asked, her tone reflecting a mix of shock and concern.

"I've given up on Ya Moh, but there's something that sit right with me.i felt happy  that he is going to mistreat Jidderh," Feesa confessed, her voice tinged with happiness

Naima's heart sank at the news. Despite everything, she couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for Jidderh. She wished that Feesa would consider giving Jidderh a chance and let go of the resentment weighing heavily on her heart..

"Didn't it make you happy?" Feesa asked, pulling Naima out of her thoughts.

Naima managed a fake smile, "I guess I am."

"But why did you easily give up on him? I thought you had a crush on him," Naima teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"I wanted to fight for him, but something Ya Moh said made me reconsider. After all, he's a man; he can marry four wives," Feesa confessed with a hint of satisfaction.

"I don't think you'd accept Jidderh as your co-wife," Naima teased playfully.

"God forbid Jidderh being my co-wife," Feesa scoffed.

"It's getting late now. Let's call it a night and see what tomorrow brings," Naima said, yawning.

"Good night then," Feesa replied, settling into bed and pulling the duvet over herself.

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of the call to prayer. After performing my morning rituals, I headed downstairs. Hajjiya Rukaiya was preparing breakfast, and I quickly greeted her before helping with the cleaning. After everyone finished eating breakfast, the guys retired to their room, leaving the ladies in the living room watching TV. I grabbed my own breakfast in the kitchen, then washed my dishes before finally heading back to my room. As I walked, I ran into Naima and Feesa watching TV, and Hajjiya Rukaiya engrossed in her phone.

"Could you get me some water, Jidderh?" Feesa's voice cut through the silence, commanding attention.

"Sure," I replied, heading towards the kitchen. Before I could reach it, I heard Hajjiya Rukaiya's voice

"Jidderh, please come back and have a seat," Hajjiya Rukaiya's voice rang through the room as she called me back.

"The reason why I called you back is to inform you all that from today, you should stop assigning her to work alone. You two are going to help with the house chores, not leave her to work alone. Is that clear?" she demanded.

I could see the seething hatred in Nafeesa's eyes, as if she wanted to swallow me up, but I remained silent.

Naima simply hummed in acknowledgment, while Feesa remained quiet.

"Right, that's all I wanted to say. You can go and rest. As for you, Feesa, you should go and drink your water by yourself," Hajjiya Rukaiya instructed.

Feesa angrily stood up and stomped her way to the kitchen, while Hajjiya Rukaiya sighed. I stood up, making my way upstairs.

As I left the room, Naima, who had been humming, finally broke the silence. "But Ammi, why would Ya Moh marry Jidderh?" she questioned.