chapter 24

I was just chatting with Fateema when I mentioned the return of Ya Moh and Ya Umar. She was teasing me when suddenly I heard a knock on the door. I placed my phone on the bed and made my way to the door, swinging it open to reveal Hajjiya Rukaiya standing there.

"Good afternoon, ammi," I greeted, holding the door.

"How are you doing?" Hajjiya Rukaiya replied, smiling.

"I'm fine, alhamdulillah," I replied.

"I want us to talk if you don't mind," Hajjiya Rukaiya said.

"Okay, ammi, you can come in," I said, opening the door and leaving space for her to come inside.

Hajjiya Rukaiya walked to the bed and sat down. I closed the door and joined her on the bed.

"Jidderh, I know what I'm going to say may sound somewhat strange to you," she said.

My heart started beating fast. Did I offend her? Many thoughts were racing through my mind.

"Jidderh, dear, I want you to do me a favor," she said, holding my hand in hers.

"What's that, ammi?" I curiously asked.

"You know my sons are back and they will soon establish their business here. Before they start working, I want them to get married. Umar will go for his master's before getting married, but for Bashir, he will soon start working. I want him to marry you. Ever since the first day I saw you, Jidderh, I felt the urge to marry my son to you. You're so obedient, I trust you, you're every man's dream, and you've never upset me from day one till now. Can you do me a favor and marry Bashir?" Hajjiya Rukaiya confessed, staring deeply into my eyes.....

The turn of events left me stunned and conflicted. I couldn't believe that Hajjiya Rukaiya had just suggested I marry her son, Bashir, who happened to be my crush. On one hand, the thought of marrying him made me slightly elated, but on the other, I was wary of his spoiled nature. He hadn't even noticed my presence in the room during the conversation, and I found myself lost in a whirlwind of thoughts.

"Jidderh," Hajjiya Rukaiya's voice pulled me back to reality.

"Yes, ammi?" I replied, my mind still spinning.

"What do you think about it?" she asked, her eyes searching for a response.

"If marrying your son will make you happy, then I will marry him," I replied, trying to be as accommodating as possible.

Hajjiya Rukaiya was overjoyed at my response. Tears of happiness began to well up in her eyes as she expressed her gratitude. She believed I could change her son for the better, as she knew he was a bit of a spoiled brat, while I was composed and obedient.

"Thank you so much, Jidderh. I don't know how to repay you. The wedding will take place when he starts working," she said, wiping away her tears.

"Ammi, you have done so much for me. There's no need to thank me. If anything, I should be thanking you for your kindness," I replied, genuinely touched by her heartfelt gratitude.

"Alright then, thank you again. I'll go and inform Bashir now," she said, getting up and leaving the room with a wide smile on her face.

After she left, I was left feeling conflicted and unsure about my decision. Was it the right choice to accept her proposal? I found myself at a loss, so I performed ablution, picked up my Qur'an for some solace, and pleaded with Allah for guidance and blessings. ....

I decided to share the news with Fatima, so I quickly unlocked my phone and sent her a text.

"Hi," I messaged.