Prologue

Emilia's POV

Emilia's POV

"Emilia!" my papá yelled, for the fourth time, from downstairs.

I sighed as closed my laptop and made my way downstairs.

My 30,000-word thesis on the measurement of critical thinking was due at midnight and I was only halfway through. If I keep this up, I'll probably fail and all my hard work would have been done for nothing.

"Yes?" I asked before looking up to see my mother, father, Uncle Seb, and Isabella.

"Uncle Seb," I said as I ran and hugged them. "Bella!"

"It's been ages," Bella said as she hugged me tighter.

"That's because you got married and abandoned me," I mumbled and she immediately released from our hug.

"Hey, that is not true. I may have gotten married but I did not abandon you."

About six months ago, Uncle Seb arranged for Bella to marry a guy in our mafia. She wasn't too happy about it but surprisingly the pair hit it off.

"Oh yeah? Well, when was the last time you answered one of my calls?" I contested.

"Girls, enough," Uncle Seb said as he pulled me closer and turned to my parents. "Enzo and Elle, what is the big announcement you guys called us over here for?"

I raised my eyebrow.

"Announcement? You guys didn't tell me you had an announcement. Let's hear it."

Mom and dad immediately looked at each other.

My heart started beating faster. They only do this when they have bad news.

"Oh no, don't tell me you're pregnant, mom," I said and she started laughing.

"With all due respect Emilia, I do not want to have another child after raising you," she said.

I wasn't that bad.

"She wasn't that bad," dad said to her.

"Thank you," I agreed.

Mom gave him a look. "Really?"

He sighed. "Okay, I take that back."

Both Uncle Seb and Bella laughed while I pretended like I wasn't offended.

"Can you please just tell us the announcement," I said with a hint of bitterness.

Mom immediately held dad's hand.

"I am the leader of our mafia," he started. "A good leader does what's best for his people."

Bella looked to me for answers but I shrugged because I was clueless myself.

"We are running out of artillery and ammunition. We need a steady source," he continued to go around the bush.

"What's going on Enzo?" Uncle Seb asked.