16|Economics

Emilia's POV

Emilia's POV

The walk back down was silent and by the time we reached the car, the sun had set.

I drank the remainder of my water as he started driving.

"What was that all about?"

"That guy was taking advantage of you," he argued. "You trust people so easily, it's concerning."

"Why are you acting like you care?" I asked feeling confused.

"I don't," he claimed again which made me feel even more confused.

We drove in a tense silence for a few more minutes before he pulled off at a Mexican food truck at the side of the road.

We came out of the car and looked at the menu plastered on the side of the truck.

"Emilia," he asked. "Do you know what you want?"

I shook my head and he sighed.

"Two chicken quesadillas," he ordered as he gave the cashier the money.

She handed him a buzzer. "I'll let you know when the order's ready, okay?"

He nodded and we went back into the car to sit.

Things were actually going well with us today, now we were awkward again.

"For once in my life, I wanted to be selfish," he randomly said.

I turned to him. "Santo, where is this coming from?"

"Nothing is really mine in this world," he said as he looked at me. "Except for you."

I began to feel offended.

"Santo, just because I agreed to marry you doesn't mean you own me. I am not something to own-"

I instantly paused when he placed his hand on top of mine.

"Would you shut up for a second?" he asked in a rather polite tone. "I wasn't done."

He removed his hand from on top of mine and my hands began to feel cold. His hands only stayed on top of mine for a short time, yet they made such an impact.

"When I saw that man flirting with you, I felt like he was taking what was mine, Emilia," he spoke. "Before you get the wrong idea, this isn't some kind of love confession. I am a very territorial man and I want to make myself clear that you are mine."

I watched him speechless before the loud buzzer went off.

He looked at the red flashing lights. "Well, that was quick," he said as he got out of the car to collect our food.

My mind short-circuited for a while. I didn't know what to think or say.

He returned to the car and took out his quesadilla before handing me the bag.