23|Traitor

Emilia's POV

Emilia's POV

He removed his hand from mine as he stood up to greet her.

"You're late," he said as his tone became more professional.

"I'm sorry, my shitty boss kicked me out at one in the morning so I guess I overslept," Lucia said as she watched him like she had just won a prize and he was the trophy.

"He sounds like a good boss to me," he said before turning to me. "Emilia?"

"Hmm?" I jumped since he startled me.

"This is my auditor, Lucia," he said before turning to her. "Lucia, meet my wife, Emilia."

"Nice to meet you," I lied through my teeth.

It wasn't nice to meet her. In fact, it was terrible to meet her. From the time I saw her, I knew something was off. I didn't like her. 

Maybe you are jealous, Emilia?

I am not jealous. I just don't like her. I don't need a reason to not like her.

"You look a bit young, dear," she told me with judgmental eyes. "What's your skincare routine?"

And you look like you could be my grandmother.

"How old are you?" she asked and I kept quiet.

When he realized I didn't want to answer, he stepped in. "I don't see why that's any of your business."

She raised her hand in surrender. "I was just trying to get to know my client's wife. What does she do for a living?"

"She's a college student," he answered as he checked the arancini.

She began to laugh. "A college student? What the hell is a college student doing with a mafia boss?"

She turned to him. "And you Santo, why the hell did you marry a college student when there are so many women in our mafia lining up to be your wife?"

"Maybe the sex was too good for me to let her get away," he suggested as he took out the arancini and then looked at me. "Isn't that right, wife?"

I picked up my glass of water and started drinking it.

His words seemed to anger her.

"Well, at least be a good boss and give me some lunch," she said before she turned to me. "You know I love when you cook for me."

Punch this bitch in the face, Emilia.

No, I am not going to do that because I am not jealous.

"Sure, whatever," he agreed as he served our plates, not paying attention to her watching me.

He could be so oblivious at times.

He held the three plates before placing them on the table.

"Dig in ladies," he said as we sat down.