37|Loyalty and Trust

Emilia's POV

Emilia's POV

"How dare he talk to you like that?" I shouted angrily as we walked to the car.

Santo stayed quiet as he walked beside me. I turned to him.

"Are you okay?"

"What were you thinking?" he asked me. "That man was hostile and you jumped in front of him to started a fight."

I turned to him angrily.

"What? Thinking? I wasn't thinking. I saw someone trying to hurt you so I defended you. I would never think before doing something like that. I would do it all over if it happened again."

"Emilia," he said.

"What Santo?" I asked him annoyed. "I don't regret what I did so don't try to make me."

"Are you loyal to me?"

I looked at him confused. "What? Santo, what are you talking about?"

He was always trying to change the subject when we were talking about something important. It really pissed me off.

I was already mad.

"Just answer the question, Emilia," he said sternly.

He was serious about this.

"Yes."

"Can I trust you?" he asked and I felt even more confused.

"Santo, what are you talking about? You're confusing me."

"Emilia," he repeated and I sighed.

"Yes, you can trust me, Santo," I said to him. "I'll never betray you."

He nodded his head in satisfaction.

"Then, I love you," he simply said and my heart started beating faster.

"You-you what?" I stuttered. "I-I thought you wanted to take things slow."

"Emilia, I am very attracted to you. You make me feel things that no one has ever made me feel. I knew I liked you, however, I told you before that the two things I needed to love someone were loyalty and trust. You just showed me where your loyalty lies."

Why won't my heart slow down?

"Emilia, you check all my boxes," he said. "I love you."

"Santo I-"

I stopped talking when I knew I didn't know what else to say. I was scared. I never expected to hear those words from him, especially so soon.

Santo is a man who lacks most emotions so hearing him say those words made me speechless.

My husband loves me.

I didn't know if I loved him back.

Santo and I had two very different ways of determining what love is.