Chapter 17

In Jacksonville

Nadia's pov

Dean and I are in Jacksonville, visiting my mom and spending time with our daughter, Deanna. Dean's doing airplane spin to Deanna, she giggles.

"Is Daddy making you fly like a plane?" I asked. Deanna giggles happily.

"I take that a yes," my mom said, smiling. Dean does the airplane to Deanna again.

"Now landing to Mommy," Dean said, gently landing Deanna on my chest.
"She lands perfectly!" I said, kissing her cheeks.

Deanna smiles as I kiss her. "She loves playin' airplanes with her daddy, does she?" my mom asked.

"She loves it, even though this one doesn't like airplanes," I said. "Planes crash," Dean said.

"I know, babe, but not all the time," I said. "This is why I rather drive," he said.

"Did you speed here?" my mom asked. "Actually, we came to Florida on my motorcycle," I said.

"Motorcycle?!" my mom asked. "Yes, Mom. I drive a motorcycle," I said.

"Those are too dangerous," she said.
"Mom, I've been riding Bliss for about four years," I said.

"I rode it with her. It's practical and safe," Dean said. "Well it's still too dangerous. I'm still very protective of you, Nadia, no matter what," my mom said.

"Mom, I am almost 24. I can take care of myself and Dean's protecting me," I said. "When's your birthday?" Dean asked me.

"May 23rd. Why?" I asked. "Just wondering," he said. I look at him, trying to hear his thoughts. I can't hear them.

Realizing that I only hear them when I cup his cheek and fingers on his temples. "Nadia's not a big fan of her birthdays," my mom said.

"How come?" Dean asked. "It's nothing to celebrate when you get older. It's just me turning a different number. No biggie. I'm gonna change her," I said, getting up.

My mom told me where everything's at. I nodded, walking away with Deanna.

Dean's pov

Nadia walked away with Deanna. "Why doesn't Nadia like mentioning her birthday?" I asked Donna.

"On her 13th birthday, she started hearing people's thoughts. It freaked her out, she started yelling at everyone to shut up! They stared at her. The Burke Twins started calling her a freak and that's how the bullying started," she said.

"Oh my. How long was the bullying going on?" I asked. "Two months before she turned 14. One day the Burke Twins pulled a prank on her...," Donna paused.

"I know. Nadia told me about that," I said. "Before that, I retired from adult entertainment. We moved to Lebanon, KS for a fresh start. My mom raised me and my half-brother Henry by herself. I loved living in Lebanon," she said.

"That's good. How did you and Kivon meet?" I asked.

"It was a birthday party at the Playboy Mansion for a fellow playmate named Shelley. Kivon was using Kevin Griffin's body as a vessel. He was a rockstar that disappeared and was never seen again after we made Nadia," she said.

I nodded. "My dad heard about that. Kivon had other victims but he left you alive. My dad went to kill him but he disappeared," I said.

Nadia comes back with Deanna. "Okay, she's good. It wasn't easy to change her with one arm," I said, handing Deanna to Dean.

"Daddy's got you, sweet girl," I said. Nadia gave me the bottle. I feed Deanna, hold on the bottle.

Nadia sat next to me. "What did you two talk about?" Nadia asked. "Your mom told me why you don't like celebrating your birthday," I said.