Eleven

Adalina heard a knock on the door. She took a deep breath. She knew that was Toto, Susie, and Jack. She looked over at Lewis. He gave her an encouraging nod and smile. He walked over and kissed her cheek.

"It's going to be fine. Toto loves you. He just wants you to be happy, and you are. We're happy," he squeezed her hip.

"Danke, Lewis."

"Mhm."

Adalina walked through the house. When she got to the front room, they were already inside and taking off their shoes and coats. Jack let out a small squeal when he saw her. He ran over and hugged her good leg.

"Auntie Ada!"

"Hi, Jack," she leaned down and carefully picked him up.

"I've missed you!"

"I missed you too, Kumpel," she kissed his cheek.

"Hi, Ada. Wie war die Physiotherapie?" Toto pulled her in for a quick hug and kissed the top of her head.

"Physical therapy was good. It's tough, but I'm working through it."

"I'm proud of you," he squeezed her shoulder.

"Thanks, Páte. That means a lot to me."

"Of course."

"Hi, Toto. Hi, Susie. Hey, Jack!" Lewis walked in with Roscoe on his heels.

"Hi, Lewis," Susie smiled.

"Hello, Lewis," Toto grinned. The two men shook hands.

"Uncle Lewis!" Jack held his arms out.

Lewis walked over to Adalina and Jack. He carefully took the six-year old from her. He jokingly threw him up in the air and caught him quickly before spinning them around.

"Hey," Susie gave her a quick hug.

"Hey, Susie."

"Ready?" She whispered.

"As I'll ever be," Adalina responded.

Everyone moved into the family room. The food was finishing cooking in the oven. Lewis sat down, with Jack and Roscoe. Adalina went and sat down next to them. Lewis casually threw his arm around the back of the sofa behind her. Susie sat down on the sofa across from them. Toto was in the kitchen pouring wine. He came in with a tray and handed glasses to the adults.

"Don't spray this all over Auntie Ada's couch this time. Promise?" Toto looked at Jack.

"I promise!" He nodded holding his hands out.

"Thank you, Jack," Adalina chuckled as Toto gave Jack the juice box.

Toto smiled and then sat down next to Susie. Their positioning mirrored that of her and Lewis. Jack began drinking his juice box while petting Roscoe.

Adalina cleared her throat, "Páte, I have news."

"Oh?" He raised an eyebrow, "your first game back? I'll clear my schedule to be there."

"I wish," she laughed, "no something else."

"Mmm. It'll be substantially less exciting then," Toto took a drink of his wine.

"Swallow your wine, Toto," Susie advised.

Toto looked at his wife questioningly, "you already know?"

"Probably," she shrugged.

"What's going on?" Toto asked.

Adalina took a deep breath. She was so nervous to tell Toto. She was more nervous to tell Toto than her parents. She felt Lewis squeeze her shoulder.