Nineteen

"Okay, that's the last box," Jule grinned setting it down.

"Yay!" Adalina clapped her hands.

"So that's everything," Lewis looked around at all the boxes in the living room area, "thanks for your help."

"Sure thing. I'm sure Adalina could've helped though," Jule chuckled.

"I definitely could've," Ada agreed.

"Not after being in the hospital. You need to keep your heart rate low, Lina," Lewis shook his head.

"Protective. Cute," Jule laughed, "I still can't believe that you two kept your relationship a secret for this long."

"It wasn't easy," Lewis rubbed the back of his neck.

"Definitely a point of contention," Adalina agreed.

"I can only imagine. I'm surprised Ada didn't snap and tell me to stop flirting with you," Jule laughed.

"She came close a few times," Lewis laughed.

Adalina rolled her eyes and bat Jule's arm, "definitely almost lost it a few times. You are relentless."

"I know what I like, and I want what I like," Jule shrugged, "you could've told me you were together, and I would've stopped."

"I know."

"I've got one more thing in my car. I'll be back," Lewis said and walked to the front door.

Adalina watched as he opened the door and walked out. She sat down in the chair and lifted her leg onto the foot rest in front of her. Jule sat on the arm and leaned her head on Ada's. Adalina rested her head on Jule's shoulder.

"I'm happy for you, Ada."

"Thanks, Jule. I really didn't think this happiness was possible."

"You're glowing."

"Sweat from throwing up," Adalina joked.

"So have you talked engagement?"

"We want to get engaged in the near future. Marriage is something we both have been wanting for a while. I want to wait until after we have our baby though," Adalina laid her other hand on her stomach.

"Good, good. I'm going to be the best godmother ever."

"You'll have to fight Marie tooth and nail for that title," Adalina laughed, "you know my family takes that seriously."

"I do know," Jule nodded as Lewis came in with one more box.

"Is this the actual last box?" Adalina asked.

"Yes, but it's actually a gift for you."

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yes."

Lewis kneeled down in front of her, still holding the box. His eyes were sparkling with excitement. It was a red box. The top of the box was wrapped separately with a big gold bow on top. She gave him a questioning look. He nodded at her. Adalina took the top off and looked into the box. She immediately let out a mix between a gasp and a squeal.

"LEWIS?!"

"Mhm," he hummed.

She reached into the box and pulled out a golden doodle puppy. The puppy was wiggling around excitedly. It turned and licked her cheek. She pet the puppy excitedly. Jules also reached over and scratched its head. Lewis moved the box to the side and stood up.

"Thank you thank you thank you!"

"You're very welcome," Lewis leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"Boy or girl?" Adalina asked.

"Boy."

"Where did you get him?"

"There was a massive puppy mill in Spain that got busted. Almost 200 puppies were rescued. I saw it and reached out to Fernando. He was able to get me in touch with the rescue."

"Oh wow! Is he healthy?"

"Yes. He has a clean bill of health from the vet, and he is up to date on his shots."

"Good," she cuddled him close, "does he have a name?"

"They were calling him Veintiuno."

"Veintiuno?"

"It's Spanish for twenty-one because he was the twenty first puppy they rescued. But you can name him whatever you want."

"Thank you, Lewis. Did you do this after I said I wanted a puppy the other day?"

"No. That was a happy coincidence. He was in quarantine when we were talking about getting you a dog. I was chuckling to myself because you had no idea that I had been planning that for about a month."

"Oh wow."

"I am so single," Jule whined while shaking her head.

Lewis and Adalina burst out laughing. Jule rolled her eyes and folded her arms over her chest. Adalina leaned her head into Jule's lap. The puppy in her lap let out a small yip.

"You'll find someone," Adalina promised.

"Yeah right," Jule scoffed.

"I promise you will. The right 'an is out there for you."

"Easy for you to say since you already have your person."

"And we had to fight for this relationship. It definitely hasn't been easy," Lewis kissed the side of Adalina's head.

"It hasn't been easy, but it's all been worth it to get to this point."

"When do you think you'll go public with your relationship?"

"We haven't really talked about it. We're just enjoying the fact that our families and closest friends know. It makes things easier. And the whole world knows that we're friends so nothing is suspicious," Lewis said. 

Jule nodded. A comfortable silence fell over them. Adalina focused on the puppy in her lap. He was so cute and fluffy. He had a beautiful golden colour to his soft curly fur. His eyes were brown with a cute button shaped nose. He began licking her fingers which made her giggle. He flopped on his back. Lewis leaned over and started tickling his stomach. The puppy squirmed around trying to get to Lewis' fingers. 

"I have a name for our puppy!" Adalina suddenly announed.

"Oh yeah? What is it?" 

"Braxton."

"I like that," Jule smiled.

 "Me too. What do you think?" Lewis pet the puppy's head. He let out a few barks.

"I think he likes it," Adalina smiled. She picked him up and kissed the top of his head. "Welcome to the family, Braxton!"