Sixteen

Adalina was sitting up in her hospital bed. She was eating her lunch. She still wasn't feeling great, but the anti-nausea meds that the hospital gave her seemed to be working. Lewis was sitting in the chair next to her eating too. Unfortunately, the hospital cafeteria didn't have many vegan options, so he ordered in. Irma and Fabian had gone downstairs to the lobby to get some fresh air.

"I'm glad you're feeling better," Lewis kissed her cheek.

"Thank you. Me too."

"I'm also g-"

"No! Don't go in!" Fabian's voice yelled. There was a ruckus outside of her room. Adalina craned her neck to see what was going on.

"Wait!" Irma screeched.

"What the f-"

Adalina broke off when Toto burst through the door. Her eyes widened as she locked eyes with her godfather. Her jaw dropped a little bit and she set her sandwich down. Lewis immediately stood up and moved to stand between Adalina, Toto, and Fabian.

"Toto. Páte," she whispered.

"Adalina Marie," Toto said.

"Lina's still recovering. I don't want you to upset her," Lewis held his hands out, trying to block Toto from getting closer.

"Do not try and stop me, Lewis. That is my goddaughter," Toto growled.

"And the stress from being ignored by you for over a week is part of the reason Lina is in the hospital," Lewis' voice was hard, "don't get any closer."

"You," he pointed at Lewis, "do not speak for Adalina. Neither do you, Fabian," Toto turned around and glared at his best friend.

"Toto, you've been my best friend since we were kids, but you made my daughter cry," Fabian crossed his arms.

Suddenly, Lewis, Toto, and Fabian were all arguing. Adalina could barely keep up with what was being said. They kept getting louder and louder until they were all yelling and screaming. She squeezed her eyes shut and covered her ears.

"Hör auf zu schreien! EVERYONE STOP SCREAMING!" Adalina yelled, hoping her voice would be heard over theirs.

The room instantly went silent. Lewis hurried back over to her side. He laid a hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him and gave a grateful smile.

"Adalina, please," Toto said softly.

He walked forward and grabbed the foot of the bed. He looked tired, and his hair was tousled. He was gripping the footrest so tightly his knuckles were turning white. She could see the sadness and concern in his eyes. She wondered if he hadn't been sleeping either given the dark circles under his eyes.

"Okay, " she nodded, "wir können reden."

"Are you sure?" Lewis asked, looking in her eyes.

"Are you fucking kidding, Lewis?!" Toto glared at the driver.

"Páte, please don't. No more fighting; I can't take it," she covered her face with her hands.

"I'll wait outside," Lewis murmured and kissed her cheek.

"Thank you, Lewis. I love you," she held on to his neck so she could kiss his lips.

Their lips stayed connected for a few more seconds. Lewis pulled away out pressed his forehead to hers. She rubbed his cheek with her thumb. He kissed her nose, forehead, and lips softly before pulling away.

"I love you too," he murmured.

"I'll wait outside with Lewis," Faabian smiled.

"Danke, Dad."

Her dad gave her an encouraging smile. Lewis walked over to her father, and they walked out together. Fabian closed the door behind him. Toto moved from the foot of the bed to the chair that was next to her. He sat down and scooted it closer to her.

Neither said anything. Adalina didn't know what to say. She just stared at her hands. There was a strange energy between them. It was unusual, and she didn't like it. There was always conversation between them. They never argued. Toto always had her back.

"Adalina, I'm sorry," Toto finally broke the silence.

She looked at him and grabbed his hand, "me too, Toto. I'm sorry."

Toto stood up and hugged her. She wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his neck. Before she knew it, she was crying again. Toto pulled her as close to him as possible while trying to soothe her. It was almost like being a child again and going to Toto when something was wrong, but she didn't want to talk to her parents.

"I love you. I love you so much. I'm so sorry. I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. And I was hurt. We tell each other everything. You kept this a secret for almost two years!"

"We hadn't told anyone yet. Angela caught us making out in Brazil, and then I asked Susie for advice to tell you. I didn't want to tell you at first because I didn't know how serious we would be. And then as time went on, we were more serious, but I still didn't know how to tell you. The longer it went on, the harder I knew it would be on you. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. You're my Páte. I love you."

"And you're my patentochter," Toto smiled, placing a hand on her cheek, "you're happy? He treats you well?"

"I didn't think it was possible to be this happy. He treats me really well."

"Then I am very happy for you," he kissed his cheek, "and I'm very excited about your baby."

Adalina grinned and threw her arms around her neck, "thank you, Páte."

He squeezed her shoulder, "how are you feeling now?"

"Better. Like a weight has been lifted off me. The anti-nausea meds they gave me seems to be working."

"Good. I'll let you get some rest. I'm going to talk with Fabian and Lewis."

"No swinging," she joked.

"I would never, schatz," he rolled his eyes.

"I was pretty sure you'd have punched Lewis if Jack hadn't been there."

"It crossed my mind, but that's not who I am," Toto rolled his eyes.

"Good," she smiled and leaned back.

"Are you done eating?"

"Yeah. I don't want to push it."

"Okay. Sleep well, Adalina. Susie and Jack will be here to see you in a bit," Toto took her plates.

"Thank you. I love you, Páte. I'm glad we worked this out."

"Me too," Toto smiled.

He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. She smiled and kissed his cheek. He walked out of the room. Adalina laid back and pulled the covers over her body again. Everything was right in the world again.