Part 23

"Is there anything else you needed, Ms. Manoban?" Minnie asked her boss, closing her notebook and clipping her pen to the wire rings.

Lisa shook her head. "No, I think I have everything I need. Thanks for all your help today."

"No problem. Can I just say how nice it is to come to work every day and not have to deal with Irene Bae? It's been a pleasure to show up here since she left."

"It is, isn't it?" Lisa replied, her face brightening into a smile.

"Do you think it's going to be hard going up against her in court next week? I mean, considering you did fire her."

Lisa sighed heavily. "No, it won't be. I know all of Irene's tricks, and I know her weaknesses. The bitch is going down. She doesn't stand a chance."

"You amaze me, you know that? The way you got rid of her. I'm in awe of you, Ms. Manoban. Really. Paying Montgomery, Jeon and Kim to offer her a job in Seoul, then firing her the day before she got the offer. I could kiss you," Minnie told her. "You are a true genius."

"You don't have to go that far," Lisa joked. "Irene was causing trouble between me and Jennie, and I had to get her away from us. Choosing between Irene Bae and my wife was a no-brainer."

"You're right. I give you a lot of credit for kicking her out of here on her ass."

<<Flashback>>

"Irene, we need to talk," Lisa told the other lawyer after they'd returned from the courthouse two weeks after New Year's. Lisa led her into her office.

"What can I do for you, Lisa?" she asked seductively, watching her as she closed her office door for more privacy.

Lisa walked behind her desk, placing her hands on the oak top. "Well, Irene, it's not easy to say this. You've been work with us for a long time; six years to be exact."

"I know that. I've brought in a lot of clients for this firm."

"Yes, I am aware of that. Which is what makes this even harder. There's no other way to say it other than to just come out with it. In light of recent events, I feel it would be better for this firm if you were no longer a part of it. Therefore, effective immediately, you are fired."

Irene stared at her, her mouth agape. "Excuse me? Did you just fire me?"

"Yes. You have until the end of the day to pack up your office and be out of the building," Lisa informed her.

"You have got to be kidding. You and I just won one of the biggest cases we've ever had today and now you're giving me my walking papers? Where is the loyalty?"

"Tell me where the loyalty is when you come into my bedroom and insult me, and my wife as well," she shot back at her.

"You can't fire me. I won't go."

"Then I'll have you escorted out. Either way, Irene, your career at John and Pryce is over."

"You can't do this to me. I'm a valued employee."

Lisa smirked. 'I love my job.' "You *were* a valued employee, Irene. Now I suggest you leave without making a scene or I'll have one of our armed guards' escorts you out in handcuffs. The choice is yours."

"I'll get you for this, Lisa. You can't fire me for making comments about your wife."

"No, but I can fire you for sexual harassment. Which is what you did in Seoul when you came into my room naked and propositioned me. Goodbye, Miss Bae. And don't you ever set foot in this law firm again unless you are with a client," Lisa warned.