Part 37

"Good morning, Minnie," Lisa greeted happily when she walked past her secretary's desk.

She lifted her eyebrows curiously. It had been a long time since she'd seen her boss so pleasant in the morning. "Morning, Ms. Manoban. You're awfully cheery this morning. Is your wife feeling better?"

"Everything's perfect. My life couldn't be better. Hell, I couldn't ask for more."

"I'm going to take that as a yes. Is Jennie pregnant or something?" she wanted to know. The only reason she could think of for her chipper mood was that her beloved wife was expecting a child.

Lisa shook her head. "Nope. Well, not yet anyway."

"Ah, I see. You're practicing."

"Something like that. I don't want any interruptions until my client arrives at ten o'clock. But if my wife happens to call, put her right through," Lisa told her secretary before entering her office.

****

Jennie rolled over and extended her right arm over to where Lisa was sleeping. But instead, her hand came in contact with a cold mattress rather than a warm body. Opening her eyes, she looked over and found that she was alone in Lisa's bed. 'What the...Where's Lisa?' she thought. She sat up, covering her nakedness with a thin bed sheet.

"Lisa?" she called. 'Maybe she's in the bathroom.' She climbed out of bed, clutching the sheet to her body and headed into the adjoining bathroom between their bedrooms. But the room was empty, as was her bedroom. "Lisa!?"

Still, there was no answer. Walking back to Lisa's bedroom, she saw a piece of paper sitting on her pillow. With interest, she picked it up and read it over.

DEAREST JENNIE,

I'M SORRY I COULDN'T BE THERE THIS MORNING WHEN YOU WOKE UP. I HAD THAT MEETING THIS MORNING OR ELSE I WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE NEXT TO YOU. WORDS CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN US LAST NIGHT. OBVIOUSLY, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO TALK ABOUT WHAT IT MEANT AND WHERE WE GO FROM HERE WHEN I RETURN HOME TODAY.

LOVE, L.

Jennie shook her head when she finished reading her husband's note. "Good god, what have I done?"

****

Jisoo used her key to enter her sister's home. She'd received a phone call at nine in the morning from Lisa asking her to spend the day at the house with Jennie. Lisa neglected to give her the specifics, telling her if she wanted to know the reason why she'd have to ask her sister. Without arguing, she agreed to stop by after she showered and ate breakfast.

"Jen? You around here somewhere?" she asked.

"I'm in the kitchen, Unnie," Jennie answered.

The brunette made her way into the kitchen and found her sister bending down into the refrigerator, reaching for two cans of Pepsi. "What's going on here, Jennie? Why did Lisa insist I come over here?" When her adopted sister stood up and faced her, Jisoo's jaw dropped. "Holy shit! What the hell happened to you?"

"A black eye."

"Yeah, I can see that. How did it get there? Did Lisa do that to you? Because if she did, I will kill her with my bare hands," she threatened. "And you know I'll do it, I've done it before."

Jennie shook her head, a pang of sadness coursing through her veins at the mention of her husband's name. "It wasn't her, Jisoo. Lisa never laid a hand on me in anger. She didn't do this, GD did."

"GD gave you that shiner? You've got to be kidding me."

"It's true. He came by the day before yesterday while Lisa was at the office. And he.." Jennie choked back the tears she felt forming. "Unnie, he tried to rape me."

"What? Oh my god, Jen, I'm so sorry. I had no idea." She ran over to her sister and hugged her with all her might. "I never would have gotten involved with him if I knew he was a rapist."

Jennie let go. "You couldn't have known he'd do this. Lisa didn't even know, and they were best friends. If she hadn't come home when she did, GD would have gone through with it."

"Thank god Lisa was here."

"Yeah."

Jisoo knew her sister better than anyone, and she knew something else had happened since Wednesday. "Spill it, Jen. I know something else went down. Tell me."

"You're right, something else *did* happen. I spent the whole day yesterday with Lisa; she took the day off and did her best to comfort me. Last night I had a bad dream, I dreamt that GD came back and tried to attack me again. Lisa had told me I could come into her room if I got scared, so I did. We started talking and she blamed herself for what happened to me. Then we began kissing each other and then...then we made love."

Jisoo couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You and Lisa slept together?"

"Yes." Jennie blinked away her tears. "I finally did it; I finally let someone touch me in ways no one has ever touched me. I'm not the oldest living virgin on the planet anymore."

"Way to go, Jen."

"No. I was a fool, unnie. Look at this." She showed her sister the note Lisa left for her. "Lisa wrote this and I woke up next to this piece of paper instead of my wife."

Jisoo read it over. "So? It's a nice note. She apologized for going to work and leaving you alone. I think it's sweet of her".

"You think it's sweet? Did you read the last line? she wants to talk about it. Which means she doesn't want it to happen again. We broke the one sacred rule of our marriage...it was supposed to be in name-only. Sex only complicates things and Lisa, and I complicated it last night." Jennie sat down and put her head in her hands. Jisoo took a seat next to her. "I even told her I loved her."

"You did *what*?"

"Yep. It only took me three years to realize it, but I finally said it. And Lisa said it back. She said she loved me, unnie. But tonight, she's gonna take it back."

Jisoo sighed. "You don't know that for a fact."

"Yes, I do. I can read between the lines, and she might as well have written it in the note."

"Jennie, listen to me. Lisa loves you. Anyone with two eyes can see it."

"No. she's going to come home tonight and tell me what a mistake it was. I don't want to hear her say it. It'll hurt way too much. So, I won't let her say it."

Jisoo gazed at her sister. "How are you planning to do that? Keep her from saying it, that is."

"I'm gonna say it first."

'Don't do it, Jen. You'll only end up hurting yourself. And Lisa, too.' But Jisoo knew nothing she could say would change her sister's mind.