Chapter Forty-Seven: Convergence P.2

"Where is Sandra?" Y/N muttered, his gaze now on Igris as he began to stir from the brink of unconsciousness. Relief briefly crossed Y/N's face as he noted Igris's recovery, a rare piece of good news amid the turmoil. He then turned his attention to the somber task at hand, ensuring Alphen's body was wrapped in shadows to be preserved for a dignified burial. Leaving him to decay in this forsaken place was unthinkable.

As Y/N's resolve hardened, his distaste for the deities deepened. The fall of an Amygdala at his hands bolstered his confidence, yet he knew hubris could be his downfall.

Igris's cough broke the silence, his voice hoarse as he regained his senses. His first concern was for his fallen comrade. "Where is Alphen?" he asked, a hopeful edge to his words that quickly faded as he took in the scene—Alphen's blood a silent testament to the tragedy that had unfolded.

"Dead," Y/N replied, the weight of the word heavy in the air. "Ambushed by an Amygdala, which I've slain in his vengeance." His voice was a mix of sorrow and resolve, a stark announcement that left Igris grappling with the reality of their loss.

The moment of mourning was brief as Y/N turned the conversation towards pressing matters. "Igris, you mention a war with the Great Ones, and I am left confused by all of these except for one thing that is desired of me. Tell me, what is Idrila hiding?" The urgency in Y/N's voice reflected his need for clarity in a realm filled with shadows and half-truths.

Igris met Y/N's gaze, the sorrow for Alphen mingling with the heaviness of the secrets he bore. "The theory you presented to us before was correct," he began, his voice carrying the burden of regret. "We sought to preserve the idea of beauty, but one among us, blinded by fanaticism, sought an ancient relic—a writing of knowledge belonging to the Great Ones. His actions unleashed chaos, sparking the war with the Great Ones."

"I... tried to stop him, but it was too late," Igris confessed, the regret in his voice unmistakable. His story, while leaving many questions unanswered, shed light on the dark origins of their current plight.

Y/N absorbed the revelation, his mind racing to connect the dots. The existence of a catalyst—a relic that brought the Great Ones into their realm—aligned with his suspicions. The rune on his hand, now alive with a sinister glow, was a stark reminder of the interconnected mysteries surrounding their war.

With a deep sense of resolve, Y/N contemplated his next moves. The information Igris provided was a critical piece of the puzzle, yet the path forward was fraught with uncertainty. "Hmm... decisions, decisions," he mused, ready to navigate the intricate web of intrigue and betrayal that lay before them. The battle against the Great Ones was far from over, and Y/N's journey into the heart of the conflict was just beginning.

In the aftermath of the battle, as Igris mourned beside what remained of their comrade, Y/N stood amidst the ruins of conflict, his thoughts adrift. The Aeons' influence had honed his decision-making, yet at a cost he hadn't fully anticipated—his emotional connection to those around him had waned, leaving him to navigate the complexities of leadership with a heart grown distant.

"Balance," Y/N mused, the word echoing within the cavernous chambers of his mind. He thought of Hooh, the Aeon of Equilibrium, a guide he had yet to encounter since the Progenitor's introduction, whose teachings on the Abyss's balance had yet to manifest. "Even in its absence, perhaps this is the lesson it intended," Y/N thought, recognizing his path of self-discovery and the intricate dance of power, emotions, and self.

With resolve, Y/N acknowledged his imperfections, aspiring to a future where errors were fewer and every action deliberate. "Yes, that will be good. Afterwards, a break," he planned, envisioning time spent with Ena in her domain, a brief respite from the chaos.