𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑒𝑛

CHAPTER TEN
The Proposal

Preston fell asleep in one of the chairs in Liz's hospital room. She only woke up when Caroline bursted into the room holding a green smoothie that looked like shit.

    "Bad news is the employee kitchen didn't have a juicer. Good news is, they do now." Caroline said excitedly, handing her mom the smoothie.

    "What is this?" Liz questioned.

    "It's a kale smoothie. It's good for DNA cell repair and for slowing cancer." Caroline explained.

    "It looks like green vomit." Preston added.

    "Thank you for that image, Preston." Damon responded with sarcasm.

    "Oh, are you warm enough?" Caroline asked Liz.

    "I'm fine."

    "Let me just get you another blanket." Caroline rushed to grab another blanket.

    "So you can literally smother her?" Damon questioned.

    "I'm just trying to help here. Since apparently modern medicine takes forever. I don't understand why we can't skip all the guesswork and go straight to something that works. Like vampire blood." Caroline ranted.

    "We are not having this conversation again, sweetheart." Liz told Caroline.

    Preston looked at Damon, who was to her right. "Dude, why are you smelling a flower?" She asked quietly.

    "Because I can." Damon said with sass.

    "Okay, then what do you want to talk about? How the doctor's can't operate? How chemo won't work? How radiation won't shrink the tumor? Damon, Preston, feel free to jump in with your support here anytime." Caroline listed, then turned to Preston and Damon.

    "Oh, I think that would require you having my support, Caroline." Damon fiddled with the flower.

    "You don't think that our blood will work?"

    "In 170-odd years, I've never known an instance where our blood cured cancer. But hey, Sheriff, if you wanna be a guinea pig in an experimental study involving weird, unpredictable magic, far be it for me to stop you." Damon explained.

    Liz looked up at Caroline. "Look, sweetheart. For now I would like to put my faith in science. Which means going home on doctor's orders, having a nice, quiet day, and waiting for more MRI results." Liz told Caroline.

    "See? Ah! Mommy knows best. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make sure witches aren't destroying my house. Feel better." Damon said. "You coming?" Damon asked Preston.

    "Yeah, it's better than staying at a hospital." Preston replied, standing up. "Feel better, Liz." She walked out the door with Damon.

    Preston got in her truck to drive while Damon got in the passenger seat. Something caught Damon's eye, something in the little tray between the two seats. A little box. Immediately, Damon knew what it was and gave Preston a look.