𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

CHAPTER ELEVEN
Sad But True

Both Preston and Elena were still processing the fact that Preston had proposed. Now, Elena was running around in the apartment, trying to get everything while Kai was still knocked out.

"Calculator. Calculator. Where is the calculator?" Elena asked herself.

Preston's brows furrowed as she stood there watching with a cup of coffee in her hands.

"Of course. Under the catatonic serial killer." Elena quickly grabbed the calculator from underneath Kai's arm.

Damon walked through the door, greeting both Preston and Elena. "Want a sandwich? Either of you?" Damon offered.

"I do. I'm starving." Preston said, swiping the sandwich from Damon's hand.

"I can't. I'm, uh, late for my volunteer shift at the hospital." Elena said.

Damon noticed the two rings on Elena's fingers. Her new daylight ring Jo made for her was on her right ring finger, while her engagement ring was on her left ring finger. "Those are new." Damon commented.

"This one is my engagement ring from the love of my life... And Jo made me a new daylight ring. You like?"

"Depends. Does it work?" Damon said, skeptical.

"Well, I'm here, aren't I?"

"Yeah, inside the shade." Damon scoffed.

"I know how everyone has their doubts about Jo's magic. But she has an entire month to get stronger and win the merge with Kai. So a little bit of support wouldn't kill anybody." Elena told Damon.

"Speaking of killing people." Damon started, walking over to Kai. "Still counting sheep, or whatever the hell you psychopaths dream of."

"He's a sociopath." Preston corrected, making both Elena and Damon turn to look at her. "What? He is. There's a difference."

"Look, Alaric's gone out of town to get some mystical thingamabob to give Jo an edge. And your jobs are to babysit Kai, not smother him with a pillow."

"Elena, love of my life who I love so much... why do I have to stay here with these two idiots? I was stuck in a prison world with them, and I had to be around Damon forever. I need an eternity to recover." Preston said.

"If he starts twitching or something, just give him 50 milligrams of pentobarbital." Elena ordered.

Preston smiled. "You're adorable when you go doctor mode." She told Elena.

Elena smiled back, pulling Preston into a kiss. "I'll see you later, love."

"Whoa, hey, you forgot this." Damon said, handing Elena her ID.

"Preston, I'm off at 6:00–"

"I'll pick you up." Preston told her, giving Elena another kiss bye.

Preston and Damon were called into the hospital for hell knows what.