𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒

I was tired.

The car ride I mean. Here I was sitting in the passenger side of Hashim's car, driving to Kaduna as newly wed couples. I hadn't said a word, neither did he. He really was quiet. I think we will get along then.

Baba had respected my decision of having a very quiet marriage. Besides, it's his second marriage, are we supposed to be telling the whole world?

Also, no, I'm not in the wedding clothes halima made me wear, neither do I have make up on. I was planning on threatening her but then got the perfect excuse.

"I'm going on a two or three hour journey, I'll be uncomfortable". She had agreed, so I got my way there.

I wasn't even concentrating on the fact that the scenery had changed from trees, sand, and bushes to buildings, people and noise. I checked the time on my phone. It's already seven something. I didn't bother to check the minutes.

Soon enough, we easing through black gates and I was staring at a huge duplex standing in the center of a spacious yard. I didn't have the energy to admire it.

He got down from the car first, then I did. He waited for me to stand beside me before we made our way to the front door. He rang the bell and a minute later it was pulled open. Not by khadija, I guessed a maid.

She greeted the both of us and we went in. We didn't walk far when khadija came in to view. She was wearing a red fitted gown. When I saw fitted, I mean fitted. She had light make up on. All this to welcome her newly wedded husband.

"Habibi". She drawled in what was supposed to sound seductive. Maybe it did to him but to me it sounded like something was wrong with her voice. She hugged him and as much as I would like to see what else she was willing to do, I am tired and need somewhere to free myself.

She pulled him further into the house, completely ignoring my existence. I turned and left the house. I walked to the car and pulled out my three suitcases from inside. My other things were going to come sometime during the week. I was pulling the two smaller ones back to the door when Hashim came out.

"You should have let them. I sent someone to help". He reached for them and I immediately let go. We should skip the cliché brushing of hands.

I walked behind him, a helper as he said took the luggage from him and we continued inside.

"Oh hello Daliah". Khadija greeted when we came back in.

"Hi". I replied.

"Was the journey tiring? Where's mardia. Let her show you to the guest room". I get it, she's trying to show me my place. A guest. I really don't mind.

"Dee...". Hashim started.

"I know. I was busy throughout, so I had mardia fix it up earlier". She placed her hands on his arms. I am seconds away from being rude.

"But, I told you to do this since".

"Yes yes...".

"Can I be shown to my room?". They both turned to me. Must have forgotten about me while having a lovers quarrel.

"Uhm, sure". Khadija called the mardia and she showed me a room downstairs.

I would have preferred a room with a balcony though. The room didn't have much to it, very guest room-ish. I went in, closed the door and went into the toilet.

I splashed water on my face, then eased myself and performed ablution. I went back into the room and opened my box to get things out. I prayed and asked Allah to grant me patience. I really needed it.