Chapter 38 : Memory Lane

***LORENZO***

" To say I was heartbroken  would be an understatement. I was  devastated and destroyed beyond measure. I didn't know what to do with myself anymore. Your clothes , cribs , bottles  everything kept reminding of you and the house was filled with your cries but I couldn't see you. I couldn't hold you to make you stop crying. I didn't know what to do anymore." She said while wipping the tears flowing from her eyes.

"Mom was stressed out too and that took  a really bad toll on her health.  She had a stroke  and by the time we got her to the hospital and tried to complete all the paper work for her treatment to begin , it was too late. We'd  already lost her."  She said and wipped her tears again.

"A little after her burial I tried  my best to  reach out to your father to beg him to at least let me meet you one time but that cost you a scar " she said and moved her hand  to the upper part of my arm.

"You have a big scar there don't you?" She asked.

I nodded shocked at how she knew about that. Dad told me it was from my early years when  I  fell  from a tree.

"I'm sorry. It was all because of me. My constant calling made you get that scar. He cut you  and told me that it would be worse.  So for your safety I stopped  any attempt to look for you." She said.

What Abramo  told and what she's told me don't even support  each other.  I held her hands in mine and kissed them.

"It's okay" I finally said. "Whatever happened , its okay. I understand. None of this is your fault mom. None of it." I said before standing up and hugging her.

I  had to contain all the feelings of anger I had towards Abramo  right now and just try to spend quality time with my mother.

"C-can you , can you take me to where you lived ?" I asked  her.

"I Still leave there. I couldn't bring myself to leave. It was the only standing memory of both you and  my mother  " she explained and I nodded before leading her out the door into my cars.

"Um , I almost forgot. Mario this is Rosalia , my mother and Mom , this is Mario my bestfried."  I said  as I introduced the both of them to each other.

"To be honest,  your the most beautiful  woman I've met in a while. You should be my mom not his" said Mario extending his hand to greet her and she just chuckled while shaking his hand.

After she carefully directed  us to her house we got out of the car and  walked to the front of the gate.

"I extended the house but kept our home the way it was. " She said turning the key and opening the door.

"You can go in" she said to  me and I nodded.

I walked through the door into the hall way. After the hallway I got into the lounge. It was neatly decorated with calm colours. The pictures on the walls caught my eye.

One was of her. She looked younger , happier  and has the biggest smile on her face. The second on was of when she  was pregnant  with me. She was in a yellow  dress with her hair  tied at the  back while she was holding a cake  in her hand. She still looked happy.

The other  picture she framed was of my sonogram. The next was when  she'd just given birth in the hospital while she held me to her chest  with a warm smile plastered on her face.

The next picture was of her  in a white dress standing at the door step with me in her arms. I was wrapped in a blue blanket  while her mother was standing next  to us with the most proud look on her face.

There was another picture of me  sleeping peacefully  in my crib with a pacifier on. Next to it was  of when i was crying while  my grandmother  was giving me a bath. Then after than I was  wrapped up in a white blanket and mom looked like she was singing to me.

"These pictures are  the only thing that kept  me close to you. Some of them I  had them framed and I put them on the wall." She explained.

"Her "  I said pointing to  picture where I was  with a woman who seemed a bit older than my mother. "Her name is  Bianca. She was  was your nanny. She took care of you whilst I was at work. She was the one who was there when he came to take you back to Italy" she said.

She closed her eyes and exhaled deeply. She peeled open her eyes and looked at the pictures. She chuckled and pointed at one picture. It was of me and my  grandmother. She was holding me by my hands and I looked like  I was annoyed by the act.

"I remember this day. I didn't go to  work and she was constantly calling you by your pet name she did it so much you began crying  and you wouldn't  stop until she herself sang to you" she  told me.

"You were still so little but you always knew how to get your way with us." She said with a smile.

"What I loved most about you is  that you slept through  out the night. And your sleeping patterns were constant. But during the day. You were a whole different story. I wasn't there most of the times but most Sundays I  would get the day off and we would spend it together. " She said.

"I took this picture myself. " She said pointing  to the one where I was just in a diaper laying on my belly on a rug playing with a toy. I was actually eating it.

"It's actually my favourite. " She said looking at it adorably. "Mom always used to say that I should enter you into  the baby pageant because you looked too handsome " she said.

"Mom" I called out to her and she looked at me.

"Given a chance to go back into the past. What would you have done differently  ?" I asked her.

I wasn't sure why I asked her but I just did.

"To be honest  the only thing that I wanted to have done different was my finances. I  am still stuck with the thought if I had enough money maybe Abramo  wouldn't have taken you away from me , maybe mom would still be here and maybe just maybe I'd have been there for you every single day " she said and I smiled.

"I'm just glad I found you" I said to her before hugging her.

"Me too  , Bubba"  she replied and I chuckled still hugging her.

"Mom I'm 28 years "

"I know"