Chapter 2: Prepare to Die

By no means was she as clever as her mother, but Stella could see the charm on the books, hiding the real titles. It was like a very light silver screen that she recognized as her mother's magic. When her back was turned to them, Stella narrowed her eyes to see the different Shakespeare books were actually...

Secrets of the Darkest Arts

Book of Spells

Curses and Counter-Curses

But the journal itself wasn't charmed. Stella slipped it into her cream colored cardigan while Mum was distracted with Scorpius. She finished putting the books away on a nearby shelf with a single question running through her mind.

There had been a name on the front of the journal.

Who was Sebastian Sallow?

Chapter 2: Prepare to Die

It became evident that Scorpius was intent on making sure every detail of this party they both were dreading went according to plan. Him and his lists... It was understandable considering everything that's happened in recent years. This was how he coped. He controlled what he was able to in order to get through the days and longer nights.

Stella feigned an excuse, saying that she had to check if her dress had been delivered for the event. Mum had given her a smile which she returned half-heartedly.

There was no dress.

Only a journal to be read.

Dad was walking up the stairs and she couldn't help stopping to ask him if he knew about what sort of texts Mum had been reading.

"Did you know?" She kept her voice low, not wanting any of the workers who were still decorating the Manor to overhear, "About the books on the Dark Arts..?"

Her Dad cocked an eyebrow, "You saw through her charms?" He ruffled her hair affectionately, "Good. I'm proud of you."

"Don't patronize me right now." Stella's lips pressed into a firm line, "She hasn't really given up yet, has she? What's this party for then?" Grey flecks predominantly appeared in his eyes. He was hiding something from her. Resisting the urge to stop her foot in frustration, she glared. "Dad, is there something you're not telling me? Did Mum or you find something in the archives that could help reverse her curse?"

"Little D-"

"Don't." Her glare turned into a death stare. It felt as if her blood was beginning to freeze over. Stella's voice held an extra layer of ice she'd never heard in it before. "Once upon a time, a cruel and evil wizard stayed in these halls. Grandmother's sister tortured Mum in what used to be the drawing room before I was born. How are you any different from them if you hide things that could save Mum?"

"Careful, Stella." Her Dad's voice matched hers. A perfect, sinking coldness that was unfathomable. "I've been doing everything possible to save your mother. You wouldn't be able to do anything I can't or haven't tried already."

The implication was clear.

"Because your magic is more powerful than mine." She remarked bitterly, "Just because I'm ordinary compared to the three of you, doesn't mean that I have nothing to contribute. Does Scorpius know about Mum and the Dark Arts? Has he been involved with your research in the lab?"