Chapter 9: Sociopath or Martinet?

"She's an apprenticing Auror from the Academy."

Ominis spoke up behind her and she could feel the heat from his body. Eden was bent down and she could feel the snake's tongue flicker against her cheek, tickling it. At this point, it seemed like the snake fancied her, right? There was no reason to be afraid of a snake that could shut down an entire central nervous system within seconds with one drop of venom.

The woman didn't seem convinced, "Why don't I believe that? It took you months to accept Lucan as your partner and yet you still refuse to accompany him on patrols. Don't think I haven't already heard about your stunt in Whitechapel last night. Now I'll ask again, who are you?"

"Fine, I did lie; she hasn't been accepted to the Academy yet." Ominis was doubling down, putting on the performance of his lifetime as the lies left his honeyed tongue, "She's a friend's daughter. I said I'd show her around the Ministry and we got a bit carried away in dark, secluded corridors."

The elder woman's eyes widened while Stella remained blissfully confused. Carried away? What in Merlin's name was he-

"Ominis Gaunt, you escorted a witch down here to shag on Ministry property?!"

Shag?

Gaunt?

Stella's mind was reeling. Ignoring the scandalous sex accusation in a public institution, she didn't even realize for a moment that his last name would be Gaunt. The Heir to Slytherin-of course.

This wasn't some arsehole, this was a direct relative to Voldemort.

And right now, she was a damsel in distress needing rescue from this sociopath.

Chapter 9: Sociopath or Martinet?

"I'll admit it's not my brightest moment, but I've done much worse." Ominis replied in a pleasant voice, stepping past her, "Now if you'll excuse us, we'll see ourselves out."

Stella was embarrassed beyond belief and the only reason why she kept her mouth shut was because of the pointed stare he gave her when the woman's back was to him. She hastily started walking towards him, pulling her hood up around her head.

"You're officially being put on suspension. One week." The woman's sharp voice ordered behind them.

Ominis snorted inwardly with a mock salute, "Aye, Captain."

"I'm serious! I want you no where near Whitechapel or I'm else taking your badge."

CLANG

Something like metal tumbled across the floor, "Tell Faris my father's looking forward to dinner tonight. Make sure he knows to give me that back too."

A frustrated noise escaped the woman and Stella could understand her feelings. Ominis Gaunt seemed like an extremely irritating and frustrating person to work with. She'd had limited interactions with him and at the moment, she wanted to throw him off the astronomy tower. Family tradition.

Well Severus Snape wasn't technically related by blood, but he'd been her dad's Godfather. A man that had shaped her Dad's gifted potion making abilities.