Chapter 37: Time to Heal

"Why was the wand missing?"

The cretin started crying. "Memento."

"Why did you start the fire and kill them?"

"To hinder the case. She said she'd bring my company back from the edge of bankruptcy as long as I got rid of the crime scene so you'd never suspect Glenda. I came in here to grab some documents he'd taken from my office last week before the vote."

"You were afraid of her taking your daughter away from you." Ominis reflected, keeping that cold smile on his face, "When you die here, that's exactly what I'll be doing."

Ylvir's lip quivered as the acid spread to his other leg, "You wouldn't sell my daughter to the sex trade. She would."

Ominis hid his disgust with a mock salute. Two fingers against his temple as he turned around to start walking away. "So long, Ylvir."

"WAIT. STOP. PLEASE."

Ominis ignored the screams, but he could tell that Stella was bothered as he walked out of the flaming house. He swished his wand, spreading the fire into the the office to silence the man's pleas. Not because he wanted to save him, but because he didn't want to see her staring into the house with empathy clearly on her face.

There was the matter with Jack the Ripper.

There was the matter with an underground potion ring that may be tied to Jack.

There was the matter with his growing desire for the woman in front of him.

There was the matter with his family.

And then there was the matter with someone who had access to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement that was capable of convincing someone to hinder case reports tied to him. Not to mention if they had children, she was using human trafficking as a threat. His list of enemies was longer than the list of people he knew. He also didn't know anyone that worked at A'morte.

Ominis was tired.

So. Fucking. Tired.

And his wound had reopened.

Chapter 37: Time to Heal

"Shouldn't you go to St. Mungo's for this?" Stella leaned back against the counter as Ominis sat on one of the dining chairs while Lucan carefully removed the shard from his arm.

He didn't show an ounce of pain, but by the way Eden kept tasting the air; she wondered if she could taste his pain. His shirt was being repaired by Tobbs who chose to dutifully restitch it by hand in an effort to please his Master more than using a repair charm. This meant that Ominis was currently shirtless and she was going to Hell for ogling a wounded man.

It had been a very brief ogle, but what she saw didn't disappoint. Broad shoulder muscles. His abdomen flexed with each little movement of Lucan's hands. His jaw was clenched and the only reason she suggested St. Mungos was because of the insults he hurled.

"Are you sure you didn't score a 'D' or 'T' in Field First Aid?" Ominis asked wryly, turning his head to see the stitch work, "If it's this sloppy, I'll scar."

Lucan snorted inwardly, "You're quite used to those, aren't you?" The room filled with an unmistakable tension. Ominis' stare was deadly and his eyes darkened with blood thirst. Lucan coughed uncomfortably and cut the thread, "All done, boss."