Chapter 12: New Years in Whitechapel - Part One

Cream colored walls greeted her along with a clawfoot tub and a separate shower. The tub tempted her, but she didn't have the time. This almost felt like an intrusion, seeing his room, and the quiet signs that this placed was lived in.

You could tell a lot by the way a man lived and Ominis was immaculate and impersonal except for his room. An open book on the nightstand, a couple open books on the left side of his bed, another one on the armchair, and there was even two books on the sink counter. The genres varied as well between Dark magic, ancient history, and case studies from crimes in the last fifty years. She didn't understand the correlation, but everything Ominis did was always calculated.

Eden was laying on the bed, having not followed her into the bathroom. Stella stripped down, placing her clothes neatly by the shower, and settling her wand on the sink counter. Her fair skin was dusted with dirt and she didn't realize it before, but there was a smudge of grime on her cheek. Neither of the wizards had said anything to her and she wanted to jinx them for the injustice.

Regardless, it's not as if she should expect kindness from Lucan from how she'd treated him so far, and she couldn't expect anything from Ominis. The man was a sociopath, but at least he didn't give her a hard time about wanting to shower and borrow some clothes. Uneasiness pooled in Stella's stomach as she turned the water on and let it heat up.

No money. No idea where to stay. No way to feed herself. She couldn't rely on Ominis' seemingly rare generosity forever. She had to figure out what she was going to do with herself. And how she was going to convince him to open up about the relic and Sebastian.

Time wouldn't be on her side forever.

Not with Jack after her.

Chapter 12: New Years in Whitechapel - Part One

Ominis POV

"Maybe I should have let Weasley do the dirty work." Ominis muttered, speaking Parseltongue to the only creature he could tolerate in this Salazar-forsaken world. "Honestly, this place is filthy. The people are filthy. It'd be better to set fire to this entire bloody world."

He shoved his gloved hands into his pocket, thankful for the disillusionment charm. Earlier it'd been annoying having to turn down the Muggles who kept offering him a night of romance and saying he didn't have to pay if he didn't want to. His lip curled in disgust. If they were going to resort to selling their bodies, they should at least be able to do that part well. Were they offering free sex to all men or was it just his lucky night?

'As if you'd let the opportunity pass.' Eden replied back, sounding amused. 'I don't understand why you're intent on making the boy suffer.'

"Because I hold grudges." Ominis remarked sourly.

'I know you do. That's why you haven't talked to Sebastian in eight years.'

He turned his head slightly to glare at her, but the snake merely stared right back at him from his shoulder. "Such a smart mouth for a snake. Remind me again why I haven't sold you? I think you'd make a nice pair of shoes."

Eden flashed her fangs, more out of show then anything. Ominis would lay down his life before this creature was turned into a pair of footwear and she knew that wholeheartedly. 'At least make me into a wallet.'

Ominis bit back a laugh, rubbing the underside of her jaw affectionately. It was quiet in Whitechapel tonight which was the reason for his bad mood. Well, as quiet as Whitechapel could be.