Chapter 41: When Two Souls Mix, What Do You Get?

The Auror walked over to the side of the street, leaning his back against the brick-stone. It was beginning to feel overwhelming. Every problem felt like a new inferius ready to suffocate him. He closed his eyes, trying to calm down his breathing.

"Ominis?" Slowly, he opened his eyes. There stood a princess right in front of him. She reached up, holding the umbrella over him. Her braid slipped over her shoulder as she stood up on the balls of her feet just to hold the umbrella over the both of them. "Are you alright?"

"What are you doing here?" Ominis inquired with a frown, looking down to see a small grocery bag in her hand. "Why are you shopping instead of Tobbs?"

As she answered, he took the umbrella from her and held it over them. He didn't particularly care about the rain now that his clothes were drenched, but it was an excuse to have her close. "He's shopping for dinner." Stella lifted the bag, "Ginger bites."

For his nausea. Everything was not okay. Not in the slightest. But she smiled at him in a manner that eased the anxiety inside him. Her eyes were kind. All of a sudden, Ominis understood why Hades stole away Persephone. There was a bright spring in front of his eyes he wanted all for himself. A hope of new beginnings that pulled him away from his Underworld of Inferi. Different anxieties and fears all taking the form of the dark creature he hated the most. Everything was not okay, but with her it could be. 

"Let's go home, princess."

Chapter 41: When Two Souls Mix, What Do You Get?

"No."

"It wasn't a request."

"The answer—" Stella sneezed, sniffing. "—is still no." She pointed to the ingredients on the table, "It won't take very long."

Ominis reply was icy, swishing his wand and making her fall back onto the loveseat. "I didn't ask how long it'd take. Go lay down while I take another shower. If you move from there, Eden will bite you."

Stella and Eden looked at each other.

The snake flicked her tongue out. 'He must be the one sick if he thinks I'll obey his orders.'

Ominis let out an exasperated noise before walking away from them. He seemed to be in a bad mood. When she saw him in Diagon Alley—despite the fact that she wasn't supposed to be out while sick—she'd been worried about him. He'd looked so haunted and depressed in that moment. From the despair suffocating the air around him, she got the impression that he was stuck in a hole he thought he'd never be able to get himself out of. Determined to show him that there was always light after darkness, Stella had reached out her umbrella, wondering if she could get him out herself.

If he was being snippy, then he was slowly getting back to normal. Stella glanced over at Eden, "Really, I can make this stuff sitting down on one of the barstools. He's a worrywart."

Eden let out a quiet laugh, 'If he's worried, that means he cares.'

Her tone was faintly suggestive and the rest of her sentence was left open for interpretation. Stella shook her head, clearing her throat as her heartbeat quickened. "Worried he's not going to have bait for this sex club or for Jack the Tosser." She stood up from the couch and raised an eyebrow, "Are you going to bite me? Because I'm going to make those ginger bites for him."