Chapter 30: Quid Pro Quo

A silent sigh escaped her as she took her seat next to the prat who sat at the head of the table. He smiled around his glass of water, hearing the terse silence. As much as he annoyed the piss out of her, it was nice to finally talk about the issues she kept inside. Maybe it was because of his honesty and lack of sugar coating, that she found him to be someone she wanted to vent to.

It was wrong to need validation from someone, but Ominis offered her other perspectives.

"Tomorrow, Lucan will be heading to the Ministry to pick up our next caseload." Ominis said, breaking the silence after a while.

Surprise flitted through her like a warm summer breeze through the trees. "There's more?"

"Did you think crime took days off?" He asked dryly, "Singer's still trying to overload me with work."

"Well you haven't exactly been looking for Jack, so isn't it working?"

Her attempt to rile him up succeeded because he pointed his knife at her, "It's because some idiot keeps almost dying and I have to save her."

"Maybe you aren't a sociopath after all. The demon is merciful." Stella mused.

He sent her a scathing glare, "Demons also like to prey on innocent young women. I'd remember that the next time you open those pretty lips of yours."

Stella raised an eyebrow, "You think I'm pretty?"

He's said it multiple times now. It was safe enough to assume he found her attractive. At least the physical attraction was mutual.

"I do," He winked, "Pretty fucking annoying."

She glared and stabbed her chicken.

One of these days she was going to wipe that wicked smirk off his face.

Hopefully it was the same day she beat him in a duel.

Chapter 30: Quid Pro Quo

Tobbs displayed the desserts on a large tray with little plates and tiny forks. There had been an extension charm on the box and she hadn't realized how many desserts Ominis had purchased earlier.

Cheesecake. Strawberry and raspberry tarts. Mixed fruit with fresh cream eclairs. Chocolate mousse cake. Apricot and almond tarts. Freshly baked croissants with jam and clotted cream. Marzipan figs.

"Why did you buy so much?" Stella prayed to the Endo-God that she barely indulged so she should get a free pass tonight with sugar and a bit of gluten in her diet.

He looked bored, reaching for his tea instead of any of the desserts. "Sale."

That was hard to believe. Since when did a well known French Patisserie in a busy part of London have a sale which put all their best selling desserts on discount?

"Really..." She didn't bother hiding her smile, "If that's the case, then perhaps I'll make a trip over there tomorrow for more desserts."

Ominis snorted inwardly, nodding towards the tray. "As if you could finish all those desserts." Before she could argue, he added, "Don't believe for a moment I'd let you. All that sugar would be detrimental to your health. Spiteful little creature."

"If you care about my physical health so much, then care about my mental health and hand over that relic." Stella mused, knowing for a fact that it was an impossible request.