Chapter 14: The First Letter

Ominis' cheek pressed against the cold snow, trying to contain his incessant wheezing and the adrenaline coursing through his body as he tried to fight off all the dead bodies. When had he fallen to the ground? The weight of his anxiety rivaled the amount of inferi that crushed him and suffocated his senses.

Eden curled her body around his hands. He didn't even realized he's started clawing at himself, drawing blood, and trying to reopen old scars on his hands.

'Pull yourself together, Ominis Gaunt. You aren't a loose string that unravels with only a little amount of pressure. You have faced and defeated death many times. As a young child. As an adolescent. And certainly many times as an adult. You are stronger than your fears. Now look them in the eyes and overcome them.' Eden said, making sharp, sibilant noises.

It'd been a while since he'd had an attack like this. It took him several minutes, but Ominis threw those feelings behind a closed door in his mind, and fought to take control back. He grabbed his gloves, in desperate need of a shower and a mouth rinse. He'd go back to his home. He'd have Tobbs clean the same outfit and no one would ever find out he'd spent so much time having a panic attack.

For as much as he instilled fear in others and looked down on them, Ominis had one real weakness that would no doubt kill him one day if he wasn't able to get it together. If Achille's died because of his heel, Ominis would die because of his crippling aversion.

He couldn't bear even the mere thought of human touch.

It disgusted him.

It revolted him.

And it terrified him.

Chapter 14: The First Letter

She found him with his back turned towards her. He was standing behind a mahogany desk, facing the window while reading a letter. Ominis' tailcoat was draped neatly behind his chair and from where she stood, she could see the way his dress shirt clung to his muscles. The dark silhouette against the cloudy London sky aided his intimidating presence.

"If you're going to stare, then take a photograph." Ominis' voice was crisp against the cool air. For some God-forsaken reason, he'd cracked the window and let in the winter chill. "Or do they not have those in the future?"

Stella ignored the jibe even as her cheeks flushed, but she could blame the hot shower for that one, right? "Thank you for the shower and clothes," After ransacking his closet, she'd been pleased to find an old Slytherin Quidditch sweater. She didn't want to ruin it with a transfiguration charm so now it fell to her thighs while she shrunk down one of his trousers to fit her. "Did you play Quidditch at Hogwarts?"

"No." His voice was flat and he stared at Eden around her shoulders, "Aren't you making yourself comfortable?" It was almost mocking.

Eden ignored him, choosing to stay curled up around her shoulders as she dozed. Stella smiled at this, "Don't be upset she likes me more."

"Eden knows better than to bite the hand that feeds her."

"She's more than capable of finding her own prey." Stella retorted wryly, but a smile rose at the sound of the snake's approval.

Whatever she said ticked off Ominis, "You can kiss your dreams of being a wallet goodbye. When I'm done with you, you'll be a very expensive piece of bog roll for a troll."