Chapter 2: Crystal Necklaces & Lying Daughters

Dex's POV

I WAS IN THE WOODS watching the sunset. The forest was coming alive, bit by bit. I heard the birds chirp, and the nearby stream gurgle. I had put up the tent and checked the time on my watch. Only 7:30. I laid back in my tent, watching as the last rays of sunlight fell.

Fireflies awoke from their daytime slumber and started to dance under the moon's watchful eye. I wasn't sure why, but I always liked the moon. I liked how it made me feel safe when it peered over me in the sky. I heard a wolf's cry from a few miles off, and of course the ever present gurgle of the stream. I had picked a remote spot where nobody could disturb me, or my nighttime peacefulness.

By eight o'clock, the sun had set and the full moon was the only thing that shown in the sky. I was laying in my tent, on top of my sleeping bag. It was too hot to use it right now, but it wouldn't be for long. I sighed and stared out into the night sky. I was so glad I hadn't canceled for some mythological creature attacking people.

That was when I heard a rustle coming from the nearby brush. I quickly turned on my lantern, and the tent was flooded with light. Outside, however, was still mostly dark. I felt my breaths shorten, and my heart start beating faster than it ever had before. I stepped outside of the tent, looking around using the lantern light, and saw nothing.

I turned back around to return to my tent, feeling sheepish for getting so worked up by a raccoon or something. I was almost to the tent when I felt something watching me. I turned around quickly and was met with a pair of dark grey, almost black, eyes. It was covered in fur and was on four legs. I stayed still, then I slowly backed away. 

The creature rose to its hind legs and hissed at me. A low and dreadful sound. I felt my stomach turn inside out. I guess this was how it felt to have a gun to your temple, not knowing if your going to live or die, most likely die. I watched as it moved, coming closer to me almost like a human would. It did however look strangely human, yet so cat like. It stood at about my height, moving like a human would. 

That's when I noticed a charm on it's neck. It looked like a crystal of ice, being wrapped by diamonds. It hung from a black string, I knew it from somewhere, I just couldn't place. The Cat Beast followed my eyes to it's neck and saw what I was looking at. It almost looked like it was smirking at me, almost. Then it lunged at me and I let out a scream, before the world plunged into darkness.

*  *  *

Mae's POV

Once I returned to the house, Izzy left shortly after, I then was forced to go to bed after that. Dad didn't like me staying up too late. I didn't fall asleep until past midnight, though. I then woke up at four in the morning and just laid here for three hours. When I finally got up I went straight to the living room. 

Dad was already there, sipping coffee calmly, on the couch. I sat down next to him. The television was turned on and I tried to watch but I couldn't. I wish I knew if Dex was okay. Finally I worked up the courage to talk to Dad.

"Hey Dad," I said, trying my best to sound normal, "You're looking great today."

"Hey Mae, now why don't I just save you the trouble of buttering me up and just ask, what do you want?" He asked, not even looking at me.

"What! Why would I be buttering you up? I just had to say, you're looking great today," I said, forcing myself to believe it. Dad raised a eyebrow and I quickly added, "Okay so, I might want to go to a friend's house... is that possible?"

"Sure. I don't see why not." He said, turning back to the television.

I smiled then went to my room to get dressed. I hated lying to Dad but I knew he didn't believe Dex was in any danger. I would just go check on him then head over to Izzy's house or something. That way it wouldn't be a whole lie. Right?

I slipped into a black sweater that said, Meow, on it, I then put on some dark blue ripped jeans, and some black combat boots. I put my hair back in a simple braid and headed out. It was chilly for late August, but it made sense, since I was 9,000 feet above sea level. I went into the woods where Izzy found Dex's shoe and looked around.

I found his camp, fairly quickly. It was a tent and that was basically it. The sleeping bag in the tent hadn't been slept on and I was getting worried. I found a lantern, still on, nearby. However what startled me most was the drag marks. They were faint, but I had a very trained eye. Whatever had happened, someone had dragged Dex away. 

I followed the marks deep into the forest until the marks just stopped. I looked about, not sure what to do next, then I saw him. It was Dex. He lay on the ground, barely breathing. He had long scratches along the side, legs, and a little one just above his lip. He also had large bite mark just above his wrist.

I just shook my head and whispered, "Oh poor Dex, what did this to you?"

-=+=-

AN:

Hello my dear three readers! I hope you enjoyed Chapter 2! So all I must say is thank you for reading and thank you for voting on the previous chapters. That is all for now bye!!!!