Chapter 19: Questions & Prophecies

Mae's POV

I WOKE UP WITH BRIGHT sunshine glaring in my face. I looked around wildly, not sure where I was. Then I remembered the events of the night. I guess I must have fallen asleep on Dillan's back last night without even realizing it. I then remembered Dillan, and his secret. Why hadn't Dillan tried to kill me like the others? 

I sat up and saw Dillan sitting next to a fire, drinking something out of a mug. I shook the sleep out of my eyes and joined him by the fire.

"So you finally decided to wake up?" He asked, calmly.

"Yep." I said, sleepily.

"So, no questions, no comments? Did I not turn into a cat?" He asked me.

"Nope. Well, only one. Why didn't you decide to kill me?" I asked, remembering from when I woke up.

"I just don't do that sort of thing. Red doesn't either..." He said, then he trailed off.

"Wait. Red's a werecat too?" I asked, shocked.

"Yep. So is... Well you don't want to know that."

"What?"

"My little sister. Charlotte." Dillan said, before taking another sip of the drink in the mug.

"Wait. Charlotte's a werecat? I knew there was something off with her. No offence or anything."

"None taken. She's a bit... crazy. I guess werecats work differently here than in Sunrise..." 

"What's Sunrise?" I asked. I had considered myself fairly educated in the ways of the werecat, but Dillan was speaking on a entirely new level.

"My home. It's a island somewhere in the ocean. Many werecats lived there peacefully." Dillan said.

"Interesting. I didn't know werecats were exactly peaceful creatures."

"Yes, we are. Well at least on Sunrise. The World's werecats seem more like the monsters from fairy tales. I guess it's why we were put on Sunrise." He said. I tried to process this information, but it was harder than it sounds. Dillan then spoke again, interrupting my thoughts, "You do however know of werecats. How?"

"I was trained to kill them. I was taught that werecats were monsters. They killed innocents just for their own pleasure."

"Well that describes the World's werecats. And Charlotte." Dillan finished off whatever was in the mug then shifted into his werecat form. I got on Dillan's back, hoping that was what he wanted me to do. It was, and we took off into the forest.

I didn't know where we were going yet, but Dillan sure did. He sped past trees and hopped over logs like it was nothing. Finally we slowed to a slow jog, and Dillan seemed to be searching for a scent. He must have found it because he headed off into the trees, at full speed.

I started to daydream as we ran by. Trees got tiresome after a while. I hardly noticed when we stopped. Key word, hardly. I jumped off Dillan's back and he shifted into human form. I noticed we were near a large cave entrance. Other than that I didn't see anything but trees.

"Okay. So we have to wait here now. I don't think the werecats would take kindly to having us barge right into their camp." Dillan said. Almost as soon as the words left his mouth a group of three werecats, all in human form came out. Two were adults but one was a girl a few years younger than me.

"Lily, there is nothing out here." Said one of the adults.

"But I'm sure I smelled something." The girl replied, surely.