Chapter 11: Old Friends & New Sights

Mae's POV

A BRIGHT LIGHT WAS THE first thing I saw when I woke up. A freakin bright light. I wondered if I was dead, I didn't feel dead. My head hurt, a lot, for one, another was I was becoming aware of my surroundings. This was not a heaven or a hell. It looked more like a hospital. Only there was no nurses or doctors, or anyone. 

I sat up and noticed I had been laying on a metal bed, thing. I looked around to find a similar bed next to me. Dex was on it, passed out cold. Unlike me though, he was hooked to a machine that monitored his vital signs. I wondered what had happened to him. I got up and looked around for a weapon or something, I could use it a fight. Nothing. Oh well. I pulled off my boot and found a small silver knife. I had put it there after Red gave me a heart attack with her hiss. You could never be too careful these days.

Just as I pulled out my knife and jumped off the metal bed, a door that I didn't know existed, opened. A girl stepped in. She had red hair, and amber eyes. I knew her instantly.

"You just won't die will you?" She said to me, a smirk on her face. She thought she had already won. Not by a long shot. Not by a long shot. 

"If I did, that would make your job easy, wouldn't it Kayla?" I responded, matching her tone and body movements. She didn't seem to be threatening me, yet. Currently she seemed like she was talking to a old friend, which was kind of true. Although that was awhile back. Kayla had always been a wild card if you asked me, so her moves were difficult to guess.

"Oh but it already is." She said. However, I knew as well as she that, that was a lie. If it was easy I'd have been dead by now. Finally she seemed to notice Dex. "You know, not once did you mention having a brother. We were friends once you know. It's bad to not tell things to your friends."

"It's bad to try to kill someone too. Now I see you've hit rock bottom. So the job for the Black Shadows didn't work out? That's a bummer. I mean you tried to kill me for it. Now you're working with cats." I said, not a hint of emotion was shone in my face. Not. A. Hint.

"Ahh, there you are mistaken. I do not work with cats." She said, a hint of amusement shown on her face. All of the sudden she shifted into a monster I knew all too well. Most of the time I'd have a dagger through her heart by now, but I was so shocked I couldn't move. Kya had become a werecat. This was not good, not good at all. 

*  *  *

Dex's POV

You know how you feel when you wake up, but all you want to do is just go back to bed? Ya, well that was what I was feeling right now. As my eyes finally decided to opened I saw something going on, that I had never seen before. Or thought I'd see.  

Mae was in the room, a silver dagger drawn, and her face was filled with fury. I looked in the direction her fury was pointed in and saw it. One of the werecats that had attacked me in the woods earlier. The cat growled at Mae then jumped on her. Mae rolled over and had the knife at the cat's neck.

"Yield." She said, bitterly. I had never seen my sister in such a state. It was like some demon was in control of what she was doing. I then heard the werecat laugh. A sound so bitter, it was terrible. It then shifted into its human form, a pretty girl with red hair and amber eyes, she was about 15 or so.

"Mae, Mae, Mae. Since when did I  yield. I'd rather die. However, you have some catching up to do. So It's been fun." It said. It then kicked Mae in the stomach and walked off, laughing hysterically. It came to a door, that I hadn't seen before and left. Once she had left the door disappeared again. 

"What does she think is so funn..." Mae started, then realizing I was awake for the first time she stopped abruptly. Then she spoke again, "Hey, Dexter."   

"Hey, Mae." I said, copying her tone. I sat up, and tried to get off the table, but wires were connected to my wrist. I followed them to a screen. It looked like somebody was watching my vital signs. I turned my attention back to Mae, and asked "So... is there something you need to tell me?"

"Probably not." She said. I raised my eyebrow and she broke, "Fine. Remember the after-school camps I used to take, before we moved here? Well those weren't the normal, run of the mill, camps."

"Ya, no kidding." I muttered. "Since when did you know Miss. Coo-coo Cat Lady?" 

"Met her at one of the camps. Anyways, it is my traumatic backstory time, so don't interrupt. The camps taught me that monsters were real, and they are wicked. It also taught me how to defend myself from said monsters, or rather kill them. I met, Miss Coo-coo Cat Lady at one of these camps, as I've said before. She was my best friend for a while, then she tried to kill me. For every member of the Order's dream is to be a part of the Black Shadows, a elite group in the Order. Only they only accept the best, nothing less. 

"So me and Kayla were the two best, only you can't just have two bests. The leader took favor toKayla, and told her to kill me. Only she failed, but not entirely. She convened the whole Order that I had tried to kill her. I was was proved innocent, but the Order never trusted me the same again, so I had to leave. Oh and Kayla got a job working for The Black Shadows. Sad, but true. Now she seems to have lost her job."

"That's quite a story, but are you sure all monsters are wicked?" I asked, slowly. 

"Yep. Without a shadow of a doubt. I've never met a nice one. I was happy we moved up here, thought I could escape this madness. Should've known better." She said. After a short pause she finally spoke again, "Why aren't you shocked by any of this, Dex? Is there something you know?"

"No... I'm shocked, just on the inside. More or less-"

"More or less?" Mae asked, skeptically. 

"Yes. I was attacked by something." I said not wanting to reveal the whole truth. 

"Something?" Mae asked again, obviously wanting answers. I glanced at the screen and saw my heart rate had gone up.

"Fine. Remember when I went to the hospital? Yeah, I think that I was attacked by a werecat then. Maybe." I said, quickly. I wanted to get this over with.

"That explains a lot. Anyways, we got to get out of here. I think if we-" Mae was cut short when two other figures entered the room. I recognized one as Kayla. The other I thought must have been the other cat that attacked me in the woods. She had raven black hair in a pixie-cut and gray-green eyes. In her hands was a tablet, that showed my vital signs. 

"Oh, I don't think you should be making escape plans." The girl with the raven hair said, "You will not be leaving until we're done with you." 

-=+=-

AN:

Hello guys! I am happy that I finished this chapter, I had fun writing this other side to Mae. I guess she isn't as nice as she seems. Yes, I love this side of her. So I hope you enjoyed! Feel free to like and comment! 

Girl in picture is Kayla. Don't ask why she is eating a apple. I just found a picture that matched my description of her in the story.