Chapter 15: Pumpkin Balls & Silver-Tipped Arrows

Mae's POV

LET ME TELL YOU, FINDING a costume on Halloween is hard. Most of the good ones are already gone. However, I finally found one that would work. You can't go to the Pumpkin Ball without a costume. It was one of the rules.

My costume was a sleeveless red and black dress

My costume was a sleeveless red and black dress. I wore black boots underneath, my silver knife carefully hidden in them. A gun loaded with silver bullets was hidden on my leg as well. Better safe than dead. To complete my outfit I put on a silver cat ears and a strap on tail. Queen of the Cats. Yep, that was a real thing, not just something I made up to wear a pretty dress. Hehe.

By dark I was ready to go. Dex was nowhere to be seen so my Dad just drove me to the party. When I walked in I quickly headed over to where I saw Skyler standing. Trying hard to ignore the stares I was getting. I never thought of myself as pretty before, but it seemed others did.

"Oh my God, Mae! You look amazing!" Skyler said, happily. She was wearing a vampire costume, fake fangs and all. 

"Thanks! You do too." I replied. 

"Hey guys!" Izzy said, walking over to us. She was wearing a 1800's dress, that was very white. Her orange hair was dyed black, and she had a thin line of fake blood running down her cheek. I think she was going for a ghost, and she hit right on the mark.

"Izzy!" Skyler and I said in unison. 

"You guys look great. Totally spooky! So who's heart are we going to break first?" Izzy asked. Skyler and her started talking about boys and I zoned out. I started scanning the growing crowd for any sign of the werecats. Hopefully they wouldn't show. I wasn't sure though. It was only 9:30 and this thing normally went till dawn. I guessed I'd have to prepare for a long night.

.  .  .

I stood by the snack table genitally sipping a Dr Pepper. It was my fourth one of the night. It was almost midnight now and the party had really started. Music was blasting my ears and everyone was dancing around like they were trying to step on ants. Every once in awhile a slow song would come on but this was the opposite. 

I scanned the nearby trees looking for a sign that the werecats were here. I didn't see anything, again. I took a big gulp of my Pepper and I checked my phone to see what time it was. 12:01. I shook my head and finished my Pepper. When the song ended, a slow song came on. Most of the crowd deserted the dance floor.

A few couples remained dancing slowly. I smiled, slightly wishing I was among them. I then felt a tap on my shoulder and a guy I didn't recognize grabbed my hand and led me to the dance floor. I didn't protest though, because I was so tired. He was dressed as a werewolf and was fairly cute, with his dirty blond hair and hazel eyes, another reason I didn't protest. We danced and I just moved to the beat. I loved to dance! And this guy made it even easier.

Finally the song ended and he walked me back towards the snack table. When we stopped, I finally worked up the nerve to talk to him.

"Umm, I'm sorry but who are you?" I asked him.